Railroad Forums 

• article on RVC wreck anniversary w/ticket pic

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1501347  by nyandw

BM6569 wrote:Interesting picture of a ticket. I'm not sure I've seen one in that style before. Steve, I didn't see that style on your ticket page?
http://liherald.com/stories/recalling-r ... ter,112009" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:-) Thanks for the info. I can't have everything! Anyone else seen this style? (Form UB) or Form UB (9114)?
 #1502128  by tomdoyle409

Let's also keep in mind that just about nine months later, there was the Kew Gardens wreck on Thanksgiving eve. It was unfortunate that these two tragedies had to be the impetus, for LIRR management to embark on a long overdue speed control program.
 #1502141  by Kelly&Kelly

It wasn't the LIRR's management that was dragging its feet on installing speed control. The Railroad was bankrupt. The State of New York had been bleeding it for decades in an effort to force the PRR to turn it over to the State. For nearly 40 years, the State's PSC would not grant the railroad a fare increase or an increase in its freight rates. Nonetheless, the State increased the Railroad's taxes an average of 4% per year. There simply was no money left for anything besides taxes.

When the wrecks of 1950 occurred, it was common knowledge that "the blood was on the State's hands". Political fallout from the wrecks and the 100+ last lives got immediate State funding for automatic speed control on the Port Washington Branch, and wider funding later through the Railroad Redevelopment Act.
 #1502178  by nyandw

BM6569 wrote:Interesting picture of a ticket. I'm not sure I've seen one in that style before. Steve, I didn't see that style on your ticket page?
http://liherald.com/stories/recalling-r ... ter,112009" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BM6569: Based on your post, thank you, I revised the ticket page and added material on these photo tickets (as well as station number ID info) as follows: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/Tickets/tickets.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :-) Note: it is Form WB = Weekly - Brooklyn Form UB = Unrestricted Monthly - Brooklyn The number (9114) is the Jamaica station number as indicated in the Station Numbers section I posted. All unique-to-a-station tickets had the station number printed.
 #1502343  by Kelly&Kelly

We learned of the practice from a newspaper ad from that era. Perhaps 30 years ago we also came across a green sign for the "Commuter Ticket Photos -->" that was stored in the PA system amplifier room on Track 17/18 in Penn Station. Long gone now, along with the Western Electric vacuum tube amplifiers that heated up that room.
 #1502888  by BuddR32

Kelly&Kelly wrote:We learned of the practice from a newspaper ad from that era. Perhaps 30 years ago we also came across a green sign for the "Commuter Ticket Photos -->" that was stored in the PA system amplifier room on Track 17/18 in Penn Station. Long gone now, along with the Western Electric vacuum tube amplifiers that heated up that room.
Love to know what became of those, hopefully something other than trash
 #1502948  by Nasadowsk

Kelly&Kelly wrote:We learned of the practice from a newspaper ad from that era. Perhaps 30 years ago we also came across a green sign for the "Commuter Ticket Photos -->" that was stored in the PA system amplifier room on Track 17/18 in Penn Station. Long gone now, along with the Western Electric vacuum tube amplifiers that heated up that room.
Not a surprise. Back then, there weren't any other choices for real heavy duty PA amplifiers. Maybe RCA was making something? In the 50's and 60's, your choices were more or less McIntosh, Altec/Lansing, Crown. Dukane and RCA too, but those would probably be lower tier.

WE made a lot of amps, not all were that great. It was an early era in the technology, and the post WWII advances were pretty big.