Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1492496  by BobLI

I don’t remember the older mu cars mp54, mp72 and 75 cars having an issue with leaves on the track and sliding. Are the new mu cars sliding because of the quick braking they have compared to the older mu’s?
 #1492503  by DutchRailnut

first problem is different brake shoes the composite shoes polish the wheels and generate more heat.
second problem is ABS system as it released brakes on wheels that even marginally slip .
third problem is Dynamic brake, no real brake shoe action till almost below 10 mph.

on older cars there was no dynamic brake, the brake shoes were cast iron, plus twice as many and they actually roughened the surface.
 #1492636  by 452 Card

Dutch said it to the ultimate answer. No need to carry on. The slip-slide issue will go on forever, and no technology can correct it in our modern day overengineered
world. The leaves come down, the track gets slippery. On the M7 project, I was bashed by MofE "engineers" as to why the RR engineers let this happen to the trains inservice. They could not get the point that the leaf season does a major hit to the fleet.
 #1492642  by krispy

Another thing is also during the era of the older fleet there was far fewer vegetation than there is today, despite the great tree hunt from a few years back, and efforts today to curtail growth along the ROW. While the RR can wack things within their property, falling leaves don't respect property lines, and you don't have many folks who would burn wood like you would in the past. If you look at historical pictures from then and now, you'll see a big difference in how much vegetation has overtaken certain areas of the railroad.

What I'm curious about is what's the consensus on the different methods the LIRR has used, Sandite, washing and now the laser. What's the best method? I wonder what's the most persistant, and even though the RR is doing it's best to run these extras on the system (I see them during the day, and given the traffic level, that's very ambitious), isn't no matter what method you use, a few trains going by and whatever you did is going to get nullified?
 #1492646  by DutchRailnut

the slip slide is issue in any country with trees , specially maple.
 #1493402  by MADDOG

The right of way from Rockville Centre through Baldwin has been experiencing much tree removal over the past week which can be seen while driving on Sunrise Highway or Brooklyn Avenue.
A lot of complaining from the residents but is the best course of action for the LIRR to minimize this condition.
MADDOG