Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1494354  by PlaneLoverA380

Yeah... I have absolutely no trees. I use Metro North M7s. I use SHORELINERS AS C3s. I use an M7 on the sandite train. My Penn Station has 24 tracks. I have a junction autonamed 666 that my friend keeps telling me to remove, but I’m too lazy to do it. Floral Park has what I call “the switch of death”. It literally derails any eastbound train. My tracks are sunk 1 foot deep in the dirt at Hicksville. There are so many problems, but I just won’t waste my time saying them.

THE ROUTE SUCKS. THATS ALL THERE IS.
 #1494356  by PlaneLoverA380

If you really want to see my... *shudders* ...progress, I’d be happy to upload some screenshots. Me and my friend made this out of a desperate need for a LIRR sim 5 years ago.
 #1494371  by RGlueck

Vince's Open Rails sim is a really nice look at the LIRR. I finally dropped it from my computer, and this is not a slam at Vince, as I wanted to run historic LIRR equipment, be it MP54's ALCO C420's, and especially steam. In other words, the Long Island Rail Road I remember.
 #1494424  by vince

historic LIRR equipment, be it MP54's ALCO C420's, and especially steam.
Bob,
My route is dated in the 1950's, exactly what you list. The beta test release uses all MSTS rolling stock for the simple reason it's available, usually on a users system.All the rolling stock you list is available at the Trainsim.com file library. I didn't include any because of copyright considerations and the fact that all the rolling stock is available, even to non members. There is LOTS of LIRR equipment there,

Which years are your remembrances?

regards,
vince

PS My upgrade to the PRR Eastern region is in the hands of the beta testers.
 #1494468  by RGlueck

Vince: My LIRR experience actually goes back between 1954 to 1973. I used to know how to integrate the Trainsim files including the C-Liners and RS3's and C420's. I used to run the MP54's and all of this in MSTS, the original. I could run PRR I1sa Decapods and somebody created a horror of a Pennsy K4s. Anyway, I'm 68 now, and I've forgotten all this essential knowledge. I'd just like a program that runs the LIRR from Jamaica to Oyster Bay or Port Jeff., and allow me to send commuters to their doom on equipment with which I was so familiar, before the "dark times".

Side note: I hard to put it in reasonable terms now, but there were times when shooting trackside pictures, I'd pass up, "Just another GG1", or "Naw, just an RS3". Things got interesting when the second series of C420's arrived in pastel shades. When the ALCO FA's arrived, it was a whole new ball game. M1's? "N'aw, just another string of M1's". When the MP54's started going en-mass, I jumped to do plenty of shots of those, but not enough for today's wants.
 #1494475  by NaugyRR

RGlueck, have you tried Trainz out at all? They have a pretty massive freeware community along with some interesting payware, and the program itself is pretty easy to use and intuitive. I'm sure someone's done an LIRR route by now, and loading up new content is literally a click away. I even did some LIRR skins back in my Trainz days that should be on their download library, called the Download Station (DLS).

I switched to Rail Simulator after my PC at the time stopped running MSTS, and after a computer crash I lost all of my Trainz content. I may get back into Trainz someday, but for now I'm fine with DTG's program.

https://beta-static.photobucket.com/ima ... -RS3-1.jpg
https://beta-static.photobucket.com/ima ... -RS3-2.jpg
https://beta-static.photobucket.com/ima ... R-S1-1.jpg
https://beta-static.photobucket.com/ima ... R-S2-1.jpg
 #1494507  by RGlueck

Naughy: Those are some pretty good locomotive skins. Thanks for the advice.
 #1494515  by ConstanceR46

Those reskins still exist by the user Tbob.

Honestly a big bottleneck is the fact the LIRR used all sorts of odd-box stuff. All DLS C420s are low-hood, there's no Geeps with the air filter mod, so on and so on
 #1494541  by NaugyRR

I'm surprised you recognized them Constance, I'm actually the artist formally known as tbob, haha. I used to be a long time Trainz member before switching to Rail Sim. I think the biggest nail in the coffin was losing all the work on my Highland Valley remake when my computer crashed. That was pretty disheartening lol.
 #1494557  by NaugyRR

I've still got all the screens saved to my Photobucket, I'll PM you a link to the album when I get a free minute
 #1496104  by PlaneLoverA380

Got a question about the M7 cab I noticed in TSW. What are those flip-down seats in the cab? I usually just flip em’ down and chill. (In TSW)
Attachments:
64A48BBE-5BCA-41B4-AA15-E71756F80EC6.jpeg
64A48BBE-5BCA-41B4-AA15-E71756F80EC6.jpeg (751.21 KiB) Viewed 3229 times
 #1496151  by NaugyRR

Just extra seating for when the cab is tucked in a train-set, or for crew seating when not.

I usually keep the cab closed off from the rest of the car when I play.