Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1488820  by REM3Night

For those interested a presentation: The Historical Society of the Westburys presents Westbury and the Long Island Railroad, Sunday. October 21 at 2:30 PM at the Westbury Memorial Public Library, 445 Rockland Street, Westbury. It's free.
It covers the LIRR from its beginnings to present and how it affected Westbury and Carle Place - with some interesting/odd incidents.
 #1488870  by Teutobergerwald

I remember the freight dept. of the LIRR served a customer just east of the station that received reefers or boxcars. Does the NYA serve that same customer now? I forget it's name. Thanks.
 #1488875  by krispy

On #1 track between Divide and Nassau was Jamaica Ash, but I can't remember the last time they were served. It should've been within the start of the NYA era. Also, on #2 is the Westbury team track but all I recall was the rare Main. of Way move.
 #1488930  by Head-end View

I remember seeing reefers and boxcars years ago on that siding on the south side of the tracks, but I don't remember the customer's name.
 #1488945  by nyandw

Head-end View wrote:I remember seeing reefers and boxcars years ago on that siding on the south side of the tracks, but I don't remember the customer's name.
Country Life Frozen Foods and Budweiser Warehouse
 #1488950  by Morisot

I remember a tiny spur that served (actually served!) the lumber yard that pre-dated Jamaica Ash. And someone else remembers a spur that served (Hicks') coal yard where the Bristal is now located (west of Post Avenue/south of the tracks.)
 #1488955  by nyandw

Morisot wrote:I remember a tiny spur that served (actually served!) the lumber yard that pre-dated Jamaica Ash. And someone else remembers a spur that served (Hicks') coal yard where the Bristal is now located (west of Post Avenue/south of the tracks.)
Dykes Lumber north side east of station. Westbury Coal Co. west of Post Ave. south side.
 #1489009  by Head-end View

I also remember the remnants of the siding for the Hicks Westbury Coal Yard. South side immediately west of the Post Ave. bridge.
 #1489203  by nyandw

Hi Folks, Well you provided the motivation to do a Westbury webpage: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/Westbury/Westbury.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Some interesting material. Perhaps you can assist with this one labeled East of Westbury. "It appears" the Carle Place water tower is in the far distance. Anyone recognize the location and building/business off to the right? Thank you. I believe it is west of Westbury.
 #1489342  by REM3Night

nyandw wrote:Hi Folks, Well you provided the motivation to do a Westbury webpage: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/Westbury/Westbury.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Some interesting material. Perhaps you can assist with this one labeled East of Westbury. "It appears" the Carle Place water tower is in the far distance. Anyone recognize the location and building/business off to the right? Thank you. I believe it is west of Westbury.
I have another photo from 1970 with LIRR 1551 taken at school Street with the same power poles (and the one with the slanted line). All of the buildings have been replaced, mostly with Jamaica Ash. I'm not sure why the siding does not show up in the photo - maybe it is just out of view to the left?
I would post the photo but I no longer use a photo site.
 #1489347  by nyandw

REM3Night wrote:
nyandw wrote:Hi Folks, Well you provided the motivation to do a Westbury webpage: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/Westbury/Westbury.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have another photo from 1970 with LIRR 1551 taken at school Street with the same power poles (and the one with the slanted line). All of the buildings have been replaced, mostly with Jamaica Ash. I'm not sure why the siding does not show up in the photo - maybe it is just out of view to the left?
I would post the photo but I no longer use a photo site.
Try loading it up as a file using upload below. :-)
 #1489444  by MACTRAXX

Steve:
This picture - judging by the distance that the Carle Place water tower is - looks to be from just
east of Westbury Station. From Ellison Avenue to the Carle Place Station is just half a mile - the
water tower would appear to be larger in the background instead of how it appears in this photo.
MACTRAXX
 #1489447  by nyandw

MACTRAXX wrote:Steve:
This picture - judging by the distance that the Carle Place water tower is - looks to be from just
east of Westbury Station. From Ellison Avenue to the Carle Place Station is just half a mile - the
water tower would appear to be larger in the background instead of how it appears in this photo.
MACTRAXX
Yes, the problem I'm having is the lack of a track south of track #2. Are we past MP22 and just west of Grand Blvd? Thus, east of Westbury about 1.5 miles form Carlle Place. This would seem reasonable, yes? Thanks.