Railroad Forums 

• West Side Yard Electric Shop and Yardmaster Building

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1485759  by MNCRR9000

Was taking a look at a layout of the West Side Yard from 1987 and noticed that there was a six track electric shop and was wondering if that still exists after all the development with the Amtrak Tunnel Box construction for the Gateway Project and the Hudson Yards Development. Also is that tower operator yardmaster building still around or is the whole yard controlled from PSCC.
 #1485813  by krispy

The tower/y'master office in that pic is long gone, as is the Lerner Building. They have a new building now, not sure where it is. If anyone's in the 'hood, take the walk over the Highline, they did a good job with it and the views over the Hudson are wild. And oh yeah, it overlooks the yard. You can access it from either side of the yard.
 #1485863  by BuddR32

I think the Lerner Building is the Associated Press Building now.

They demolished the six track car shop down to ground level, and rebuilt it. The six tracks are the same, but the ancillary space, (stores, offices, lockers etc) are reconfigured. It recently reopened.

I believe next to go are the buildings on the West end of the yard when that section gets overbuilt.
 #1485882  by geico

BuddR32 wrote:I think the Lerner Building is the Associated Press Building now.

They demolished the six track car shop down to ground level, and rebuilt it. The six tracks are the same, but the ancillary space, (stores, offices, lockers etc) are reconfigured. It recently reopened.

I believe next to go are the buildings on the West end of the yard when that section gets overbuilt.
Its neither.... its 450 West 33 Street, aka 5 Manhattan West. I work in the building.
AP is in the building but so is Amazon now.