Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1485880  by RGlueck

Scope, the model is an L1 with traditional ALCO type "B" trucks.

Side note, it was #215 that derailed with my friend, the late Ed Schleyer, at the throttle. I think it was in Bridgehampton, and vandals had thrown a switch.

Color shots, credit Ed Schleyer. B&W shot, credit Ron Ziel.
Attachments:
215WRECK.JPG
215WRECK.JPG (249.23 KiB) Viewed 3617 times
Wednesday, August 27, 2008 pilot closeup.jpg
Wednesday, August 27, 2008 pilot closeup.jpg (137.75 KiB) Viewed 3617 times
LIRR 215 underside.jpg
LIRR 215 underside.jpg (118 KiB) Viewed 3617 times
 #1485881  by RGlueck

Credit Ed Schleyer.
Attachments:
Wednesday, August 27, 2008 rear loco.jpg
Wednesday, August 27, 2008 rear loco.jpg (102.58 KiB) Viewed 3617 times
Wednesday, August 27, 2008 LIRR 215 pilot.jpg
Wednesday, August 27, 2008 LIRR 215 pilot.jpg (137.86 KiB) Viewed 3617 times
 #1485884  by milepost39

Yikes! I've never heard of that one. Where the vandals ever caught?

On these industrial sidings, are they any visual indicators that would clue an engineer to the thrown switch? But I'm guessing at speed it wouldn't make a difference. I just recently watched a cab video on YT, where as the train approaches a siding filled with covered hoppers, with the train in full emergency it leaves the main and crashes into the last car as the camera cuts out. The video isn't clear enough to determine what indication the engineer had that the switch was thrown, which had him go to emergency.
 #1485906  by alcoAL

I also saw #220 in D&H livery, I think on railpictures.net. By livery I mean with the herald on the cab, not to imply it was repainted.
 #1485919  by SwingMan

Main Track switches will have a "switch target" which will show whether the switch is normal or reverse. In Single Track 251 Manual Block Territory, you also have Distant Switch Indicators. These protect these switches and will display a Caution Indication if there is a facing point switch opened ahead. In this instance, it could've been a trailing point switch, or the switch was thrown after the train had past the DSI. Being that it was Bridgehampton, I'd say it was the latter. And the engineer would not see the switch until the last second as there is a blind left handed curve.
 #1485928  by milepost39

SwingMan wrote:Main Track switches will have a "switch target" which will show whether the switch is normal or reverse. In Single Track 251 Manual Block Territory, you also have Distant Switch Indicators. These protect these switches and will display a Caution Indication if there is a facing point switch opened ahead. In this instance, it could've been a trailing point switch, or the switch was thrown after the train had past the DSI. Being that it was Bridgehampton, I'd say it was the latter. And the engineer would not see the switch until the last second as there is a blind left handed curve.

Thanks for the explanation. Here is the video I was referring to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifP3J8tCRro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1486009  by nyandw

I made a composite photo of Ed Schleyer's photos:

I was working the Montauk Greenport relief job as one of the senior Firemen. The engineer and I worked 3 days to Montauk, 3 days to Greenport and 3 days off. This was not a monotonous job. In my short time as a fireman, I hit cars, trucks and the guy that trimmed me off the job, hit an airplane. The day of this incident, I ran the train to Montauk and The engineer Howard King brought it back, well almost all the way back. I’m not sure of the consist, I think (2) varnish on the west end and (5) coaches, not Pings, (1) engine #215. We left Montauk with probably (1) paying rider. The flag man had his son riding in the rear coach with him. I don’t know if we picked up any riders before Bridgehampton, but we had way to much running time - Montauk to Speonk. We were in “coast”, until the curve before Bridgehampton. Now I am sitting with my feet up on the front door frame. Going around a right hand curve, I can’t see the roadbed ahead and Howard says “we’re going in”. I can’t connect this phrase to anything but a “meet”. I looked over at Howard and the next thing you know, I’m head to head with him. I’m wedged in between the water cooler and the control stand, laying down and the engineers front window is broken and lots of mud and water are passing over our heads. Howard got hit in the face with the windshield, but other than being covered with mud we were OK. At the moment we were turning over, the thought that we were at the Water Mill curve went through my mind. We had derailed and were going into the Water Mill Pond. I knew by now (everything in slow motion) I’m gonna survive the derailment, but I’m gonna drown, I don’t know how to
swim. The water from the water cooler was draining on my head and the mud was filling up the engineers side of the engine.

When we stopped moving, I killed the engine and started digging Howard out. We went out the front door and walked down the side of the engine to someplace that didn’t look like a one story drop to the ground. I left Howard there and went in the front door of the head parlor car and came into the passageway that the attendant room connected to. The attendant was sitting on the corridor wall trying to collect the little liquor bottles that had spilled into the corridor. I reached down and picked out two bottles of scotch, I figured that we needed a drink. The attendant started freaking out about how he was responsible for all of the beer and chips etc. I told him that every volunteer fireman from Montauk to Speonk was gonna be here in a few minutes and he better go get in the ambulance that was outside or face all of the volunteers that were gonna show up. He went out the end of the corridor that I had come in. I went the other way and came into the head car where the conductor was on the other end of the car. The offset door was now up above our heads and the conductor was convinced he was gonna die there because we couldn’t climb up to the door. I grabbed him by the hand and led him to the other end where the door was on the bottom. The conductor went on his way and I went up to see Howard on the main track. It seems my timing was bad when I offered him the bottle of scotch. It seems that (2) teenagers, arrested and released, stole tools from a section shed and went to the switch that was the entrance to a coal trestle. They smashed the lock and switch stand, opened the switch and waited for us to go up the siding, off the end and into the school. Needless to say the locomotive couldn’t make the 15 mph turnout at 40 mph.

Before I could leave I had to go back into the locomotive. I had to make sure there wasn’t a flag stick in the “Dead Man” and I had to pick up all my fillets of flounder that I had caught from the docks where the submarines used to tie up. Five pounds of fish that would have really smelled bad by the time #215 got back to the shops. I got the fish and climbed back outside on the outside of the engine compartment. When I got there a little old lady was screaming and yelling at me “ look what you did to the fence around the school”. I interrupted her shouting to ask her if she liked fillet of flounder and would she like five lbs right now. She said yes and I threw five lb plastic bag at her and hit her in the chest, knocking her on her rear. She said “thank you” and the problem with the fence disappeared. By now all the buses and cabs in town were gone, being used to transport the crew to Patchogue, I didn’t have a way to get home. As I started to walk toward the next crossing, I see a LIRR Bronco coming toward me on the tracks. When he got to me he stopped and asked what I was doing there, I told him and his response was, what do I look like, some kind of Taxi, if you want to get home you better start hitchhiking right now because it’s getting dark. With that he drove off. I walked to the crossing and found an open store. I went in and used the phone to call my wife. I told her that no matter what she hears, I’m OK. I went back to the crossing, took one last look and stuck out my thumb. The first car that came along was a fisherman headed back home. He dropped me off at the entrance to Belmont Lake State Park and my house faced on the park. The next day I took my wife and son back out to Bridgehampton, where I took the pictures. Information, text, and photos: Ed Schleyer
 #1486018  by RGlueck

Great job of the report and the merged photo. Ed would have been pleased. I miss his messages.
 #1486833  by nyandw

Update:

Units ex-LIRR #200-221 owned by Rail Traction Corp and on lease to D&H 1976-1977. A number of units later sold and were not sequentially re-numbered into the R&S roster as follows:

206 40 Sold to Benoit Girard Metal Co Scrapped
209 33 Sold to Benoit Girard Metal Co Scrapped
211 41 Sold to Benoit Girard Metal Co Scrapped
212 37 Scrapped by R&S
214 34 Scrapped by R&S
215 35 Scrapped by R&S
216 36 Sold to Benoit Girard Metal Co Scrapped
217 37 Scrapped by R&S
218 38 Scrapped by R&S
219 39 Scrapped by R&S

213 North American Car Corp., ex-Dakota Southern, ex-LIRR C420 #213

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrc420.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;