Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1485453  by Teutobergerwald

Yeah, that's legitimate. The Delaware & Hudson leased several of the C420s in 1977 after the LIRR returned them to the lessor.
 #1485768  by RGlueck

FWIW, I have a spare unpainted ALCO Models LIRR version in brass, I'd be willing to sell for $125 + shipping. It does have some speckles from the decayed packing foam on the surface.
 #1485770  by scopelliti

RGlueck wrote:FWIW, I have a spare unpainted ALCO Models LIRR version in brass, I'd be willing to sell for $125 + shipping. It does have some speckles from the decayed packing foam on the surface.
I've got enough but someone may ask L1 or L2?
 #1485778  by milepost39

Teutobergerwald wrote:Yeah, that's legitimate. The Delaware & Hudson leased several of the C420s in 1977 after the LIRR returned them to the lessor.
Interesting, and the photos are neat too. How long did they last in D&H service? I'm thinking not long before being sold to Mexico?

Was the LIRR's preference for running Long hood forward (hold over from RS-2/3 and FM H16 days) what prevented them from opting for the low hood version of the C-420?
 #1485780  by scottychaos

milepost39 wrote:
Teutobergerwald wrote: How long did they last in D&H service? I'm thinking not long before being sold to Mexico?
The Bridge Line Historical Society says January 1977 to December 1977:

http://dhbridgeline.org/blhs/c420.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scot
 #1485786  by scopelliti

The long hood was much safer in grade crossing accidents. And I was told folks would hang bricks from overpasses, so the long hood certainly made for a much smaller "target".
 #1485833  by docsteve

What they said.

The short hood housed the steam generator; to avoid boiling the engine crew in a grade crossing misshap the control stand was installed with the long hood as the "F" end. As the rest of the world was going short hoods forward, I was told the unions wanted the collision protection viz-a-visit the steam generator.

Of course they ran short hood forward on the Babylon -- Patchogue scoot.

The last of the steam-era passenger power had the steam generator at the coupler end of the long hood: e.g. U-28CG, SDP-40/45, etc.
 #1485834  by Teutobergerwald

Was 212 the L2 that was derailed when the switch for Pilgrim State was tampered with by vandals in, I believe, the early '70s?
 #1485845  by MACTRAXX

Teutobergwald: #201 was the locomotive in the 1971 Pilgrim State siding wreck. MACTRAXX
 #1485850  by scopelliti

The C-420 L-1 models were #200 through #221
The C-420 L-2 models were #222 through #229

The major visual difference between the L-1 and L-2 being the trucks. See Steve's excellent C-420 roster page.