Railroad Forums 

• How many M-7's are out of service due to derailments

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1482125  by johndill

Does anyone have any idea how many M-7's are lost due to derailments and accidents? 2 of the 3 recent derailments were M-7's. At best 2 consists were lost for a bit. I know there were 2 previous derailments and the incident at Atlantic terminal that probably took cars out for a long while. I ask because there is a plague of short trains lately. Probably most are out due to problems with AC but the M-7's seem to have had a bit of bad luck
thanks
 #1482143  by DutchRailnut

just because a car derailed does not mean its lost, a car that traveled xx of feet on ground is removed from service till wheels are replaced.
don't have it written off yet, it will be back.
 #1482196  by DogBert

There are at least 6 long term out of service at Arch Street, most of which will need some work beyond just new sets of wheels.

Only two cars were damaged in last week's Harold derailment, they were pulled back to Jamaica by an MP15. The rest of the train left under its own power.
 #1482207  by BuddR32

About 12 M7 are considered not usable because of rather substantial incidents since the fleets arrival. Usually those dont come back to service, but occasionally after heavy long term repairs, a few might return to service.
 #1482224  by EuroStar

I cannot imagine the cars that were involved in the low speed derailments to be in bad shape. In most cases new wheel or at most a new set of trucks (or an old set of trucks from another damaged car) should do the trick, however these sort of repairs are not high priority for the maintenance department when there are other cars with simpler issues to fix.