• Hicksville track work west of the station

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Teutobergerwald

Rode the LIRR for the first time in quite a while and saw things have changed a lot just west of Hicksville station. The Atlantic Pipe spur is a fraction of what it once was- I remember when it ended by the post office and was used to store welded-rail trains as well as the LIRR's gondolas and hoppers. When was that track pulled up? I also saw a new retaining wall along a good part of where the spur used to be. New trackage going in? At the team yard on the track that parallels the main line were two Trailer Train bulkhead flatcars loaded with concrete ties. The yard itself was empty. NYA currently not have any customers there? I remember seeing a lot of covered hoppers, tankcars, some boxcars and flatcars the last time I passed by on a train, sometime ago.
  by LINYARailfan

Teutobergerwald wrote:Rode the LIRR for the first time in quite a while and saw things have changed a lot just west of Hicksville station. The Atlantic Pipe spur is a fraction of what it once was- I remember when it ended by the post office and was used to store welded-rail trains as well as the LIRR's gondolas and hoppers. When was that track pulled up? I also saw a new retaining wall along a good part of where the spur used to be. New trackage going in? At the team yard on the track that parallels the main line were two Trailer Train bulkhead flatcars loaded with concrete ties. The yard itself was empty. NYA currently not have any customers there? I remember seeing a lot of covered hoppers, tankcars, some boxcars and flatcars the last time I passed by on a train, sometime ago.
Teutobergerwald,
From what it looks like based on what you posted and from what I have heard the Atlantic Pipe spur is becoming the new third track west of Hicksville. That means that the LIRR has very few places to store their gondolas, hoppers, and the welded rail trains nowadays.
I am not sure what happened to NYAs customers here. Could they have been evicted due to the third track? Maybe? Not sure.
  by tahawus84

Hicksville still has customers. They gets gondolas and tank cars. I either see the yard full of cars or completely empty.
  by Teutobergerwald

Their own gondolas for work trains, now that the long spur between the team yard and station is torn up, or gondolas of other carriers for a customer picking up or dropping off at the team yard? Thanks.
  by tahawus84

It looks like a company is unloading material from the rail cars into dump trucks. Does not appear to be lirr related.