Railroad Forums 

• Kew Gardens and Forest Hills 4 to 6 car platforms

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1481038  by adamj023

Looks like the LIRR will add larger platforms for two more trainsets to platform at each station.

Really good news for everyone who uses these stations. I presume fixing the cracked concrete of the existing platform will be included in the project.

http://www.mta.info/news/2018/07/27/lir ... ew-gardens" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was on the train which was overcrowded during offpeak and train got delayed and had to stop before it restarted. Not sure what happened today. The LIRR had four car platforms at these stations for a really long time, at least since I have been using it for many years.
 #1481126  by adamj023

Forest Hills and Kew Gardens always had short platforms. I don’t see why a full 12 car platform couldn’t be built, perhaps there is something that prevents this. I believe other platforms may have been lengthened as part of double track or station renovations but i am not sure.

Apparently due to East Side Access construction, some Kew Gardens and Forest Hills trains were suspended earlier.
 #1481160  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: Good idea to extend the Forest Hills and Kew Gardens platforms two cars more allowing
six cars to platform at each. At Forest Hills the extended platforms would be the east ends on both
sides. At Kew Gardens there is adequate room on both sides on the west end.

TB: There is a good core ridership from both Forest Hills and Kew Gardens that will justify adding
extensions to both of their platforms...The transit alternatives are the overcrowded E and F trains
on paralleling Queens Boulevard along with some express and local bus routes into Manhattan.

Go to either one during an AM or PM Peak rush hour on weekdays and then say that the ridership
is low because it definitely is not the case...In fairness wait until after Labor Day to get an even
more accurate idea on how ridership from both stations actually is...MACTRAXX
 #1481165  by adamj023

Forest Hills has lots of growth lately in ridership as does Kew Gardens. Thankfully the project has apparently started already. And the Kew Gardens bridge repair will be taken care of and started in the coming months.

Forest Hills and Kew Gardens was growing while it was neglected compared to other LIRR stations which saw renovation projects already. Now we are seeing a focus on this area with new platforms, brick work at Forest Hills, and the Kew Gardens bridge project which is good news.

I am assuming the entire platforms will be replaced with steel and fiberglass as the concrete is all cracked now till future modifications are made. Unclear why they want a temporary solution first,
Last edited by adamj023 on Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1481168  by MACTRAXX

Rockingham Racer wrote:Is there an elevator at Forest Hills?
No. Both FH platforms have a series of ramps constructed for handicapped access...MACTRAXX
 #1481169  by adamj023

MACTRAXX wrote:
No. Both FH platforms have a series of ramps constructed for handicapped access...MACTRAXX
An elevator would ruin the historical character of the structure. Since it has ramps already, no need to build an elevator.

They rebuilt the handicap ramps which were in bad shape some time ago. The platform had segments with cracked concrete and cones on it for a long time. I was thinking they would have just repaired the existing platform. Sounds like instead, the whole platforms will be changed to steel/fiberglass for now and at a longer 6 car length on each side. Hopefully project is done quickly with limited disruptions.
 #1481172  by GojiMet86

adamj023 wrote:Forest Hills has lots of growth lately in ridership as does Kew Gardens. Thankfully the project has apparently started already. And the Kew Gardens bridge repair will be taken care of and started in the coming months.

Forest Hills and Kew Gardens was growing while it was neglected compared to other LIRR stations which saw renovation projects already. Now we are seeing a focus on this area with new platforms, brick work at Forest Hills, and the Kew Gardens bridge project which is good news.

I am assuming the entire platforms will be replaced with steel and fiberglass as the concrete is all cracked now till future modifications are made. Unclear why they want a temporary solution first,

I think it is more of people switching from the Queens Blvd line to the LIRR that is causing increased ridership. That line seems to have power issues and unplanned closures every other day.
 #1481176  by adamj023

The subway system is a mess and they have been claiming to fix it for years now. But that isn’t the reason for growth at these stations. The subway system has way more destinations inside NYC. The LIRR and NYC Subway serve different purposes. You can’t go to Long Island by subway, ie Nassau and Suffolk counties.

Forest Hills now has live concerts, and commutation is up in these communities which have experienced population growth.

There are not many stops one can switch from Subway to LIRR. You still need subway or bus if you take mass transit to most places inside NYC.
 #1481205  by Kelly&Kelly

The City of New York, which pays to maintain both stations has for many years refused to fund the platform extensions. The new president has decided the Railroad would foot the bill for an inexpensive temporary two-car scaffold-based temporary extension. The four-car configuration is quite obsolete, causes delay and inconvenience and has at times been dangerous.
 #1481221  by adamj023

If it is temporary extensions, then the cracked concrete parts still need to be repaired/replaced but at least they are doing improvements.

4 car platforms were never dangerous. A small few parts of the platform are cracking which is the only part which needed to be addressed. The extensions spread traffic over two or more train cars which should mean less comgested trains.
 #1481234  by berlintransit

adamj023 wrote: 4 car platforms were never dangerous.
During high ridership periods with large crowds, under-dimensioned platforms are always dangerous because of the lack of standing room for waiting passengers and the imminent danger that someone is pushed onto the tracks. Crowds like this are frequent and especially dangerous after large events like concerts... ;-)
 #1481273  by Rockingham Racer

MACTRAXX wrote:
Not all handicapped situations. People with COPD will find the ramp situation quite formidable. I know I certainly did.

Handicap does not equate only to using a wheelchair.