Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1480568  by adamj023

A passenger train which had no passengers on it derailed. Train was not in passenger service at the time.

Looks like it was an M7 with two cars derailed. Doesn’t look too bad from the photos and cars can probably be repaired and put back in service. They say four switches were damaged.

Delays expected for Monday commute. I guess they will need a full crew dedicated to fixing the yard and related infrastructure now.

https://abc7ny.com/amp/traffic/exclusiv ... t/3805995/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1480582  by Commuter X

Looks like Amtrak has more work to do after completing Track 19, and Mr. Eng is following the Washington playbook -- announcing bad news on Sunday night when nobody is paying attention
#Derailgate
 #1480636  by adamj023

Commuter X wrote:Looks like Amtrak has more work to do after completing Track 19, and Mr. Eng is following the Washington playbook -- announcing bad news on Sunday night when nobody is paying attention
#Derailgate
Any LIRR commuter using digital tools was alerted to the LIRR issues. Wasn’t like LiRR covered up anything. Issue snarled up commute for LIRR.

As for Amtrak, I don’t believe they were affected but I am not sure.
 #1480709  by amtrakhogger

Commuter X wrote:Looks like Amtrak has more work to do after completing Track 19, and Mr. Eng is following the Washington playbook -- announcing bad news on Sunday night when nobody is paying attention
#Derailgate
West Side Yard is LIRR property. I don't think Amtrak is to blame for the derailment, nor is responsible for cleanup (rerailing), unless LIRR reaches out for help.