Railroad Forums 

• PRR-style signals at New South Rd. crossing back in '80s.

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1478514  by Teutobergerwald

I remember PRR-style position light signals at New South Rd. crossing in Hicksville, through the 1980's, when I was new to L.I. train-watching. At the crossing, the signal controlling eastbound movement was just east of the crossing, the aspects quite visible when you crossed. As I recall, it always displayed the vertical "proceed" aspect. I guess it would display the horizontal "stop" aspect when a train passed. Anybody else remember this signal location? Could this signal also display the diagonal "approach," aspect, too? The signal controlling westbound traffic was directly across the tracks opposite it's E/B counterpart. When were these signals removed and why? Also, on the westbound track, when the LIRR freight was servicing Ruco Polymer-nee Hooker Chemicals and also Inland Plastics just west of the crossing, what aspect would the westbound signal display ??? Thanks.
 #1478587  by MattAmity90

Whatever was standing at those particular locations was eliminated when the branch was electrified from 1985 to late 1987-early 1988.

Interesting fact: The Grumman grade crossing still had its' functioning signals working in 1999 even though there was a fence erected, with the Bethpage water tower under construction. A few years later those signals were removed and is now just two tracks with a gap in between the third rails and fences on both sides.
 #1478632  by nyandw

alcoAL wrote:I think I remember that signal too, and believe it was removed during the Ronkonkoma electrification.
Emery map 1958: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/bethpa ... 7_5-58.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Weber photos from 1943 of the area at S. Oyster Bay Rd, I believe?: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/bethpage/bethpage.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1478649  by MACTRAXX

Steve: Dave Keller's timeline of the improvements over the course of the Hicksville-Ronkonkoma
Electrification will likely show when these signal changes were made. This was one of the best
records that was kept about this project and contains good referral information. MACTRAXX