Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1476483  by Ðauntless

Coal ended by the late 1960's. After that traffic was an occasional boxcar, and apparently a reefer of frozen Turkeys every year at thanksgiving for all of the Grumman employees. They only were getting 3-4 cars a year between boxcars and hoppers of fertilizer. Service ended in 85'.

Today the covered hoppers are for Eastern Fence with plastic pellets.
 #1476654  by nyandw

Ðauntless wrote:Coal ended by the late 1960's. After that traffic was an occasional boxcar, and apparently a reefer of frozen Turkeys every year at thanksgiving for all of the Grumman employees. They only were getting 3-4 cars a year between boxcars and hoppers of fertilizer. Service ended in 85'. Today the covered hoppers are for Eastern Fence with plastic pellets.
Thanks. 1. Hoppers of fertilizer prior to 1985 for what what reason?

2. ConstanceR46 may be inquiring, as I am, as to freight in the 1950's-1960's to this location? The US deployed the Navy F14 series for example testing out of this site, as I have gathered.
 #1476980  by nyandw

ConstanceR46 wrote:Indeed; i'm mainly curious as to deliveries during the era of producing the E-2, F-14 and A-6.
Wikipedia:
E-2 The first fully equipped aircraft 19 April 1961, and entered service with the US Navy as the E-2A in January 1964.
F-14 The F-14 first flew in December 1970 and made its first deployment in 1974 with the U.S. Navy.
A-6 In service with the United States Navy and Marine Corps between 1963 and 1997.

Me too! :wink: OK, I forgot I had these posted: Car Load Reports http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrhi ... aldata.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The earliest I have is LIRR 1977 Car Load Report (shows back to 1973): http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/Carloa ... 201977.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Which means earlier ones exist. Thus I'll start that thread.