Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1475745  by krispy

I'm probably wrong, but that looks just like the bridge at Woodhaven Blvd at Eliot Ave. However, don't think there was a station there, as Rego Park was farther east. Nice pic!
 #1475790  by nyandw

ConstanceR46 wrote:Parkside. The bridge is the Met. ave bridge. We're looking southeast, past the woodhaven intersection.
Quick! :-)

Does this Emery map indicate the area: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/rockaw ... le-Jct.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or perhaps a current street location address would help? Thanks.
 #1475794  by Kilgore Trout

This street view shows approximately the same location today. Kind of amazing that there's almost zero evidence today of a station ever having been there.
 #1475849  by newkirk

Thanks to all who responded. Now here's another LIRR / Trolley photo. Location is Junction Blvd. ca. 1940's.

Would this be the Port Washington branch ? (click on photo to enlarge)
 #1475978  by MACTRAXX

ConstanceR46 wrote:PW branch, 105%
Yes-Corona,Queens - South of the IRT(#7) Flushing Line to be more specific...MACTRAXX
 #1475991  by nyandw

MACTRAXX wrote:
Yes-Corona,Queens - South of the IRT(#7) Flushing Line to be more specific...MACTRAXX
Kilgore Trout shows Met Ave. Picture labled Junction Blvd. PW Branch in the Corona/Emlhurst area... Now I'm totally lost, help!
 #1476027  by Kilgore Trout

Correct...the link I posted is the modern view of the photo newkirk posted.

The giveaways are in the bridge structures and cement wall underneath: Parkside has a high steel-sided bridge and flat-sided cement walls under the bridge, whereas the Junction Blvd photo shows an open-deck concrete bridge and distinctive ridges in the walls. Additionally the telegraph/power pole in the Parkside photo still exists (though the street lamp has been replaced - where's Kevin Walsh to give a complete history of the street lamp when you need him? ;))

Parkside back in the day, Parkside today

Junction Blvd back in the day, Junction Blvd today
 #1476155  by nyandw

Thank you Kilgore Trout. :-) Here's Parkside: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/rockaw ... branch.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bill's opening photo of Parkside- Metropolitan Ave View NE c.1940's has the BMT Trolley - Metropolitan Avenue Line, running westbound. Abandoned June 12, 1949

LIRR Eastbound (View N) MU at Parkside c.1955 (W. J. Edwards photo, Dave Keller archive)
 #1476159  by R36 Combine Coach

nyandw wrote:
MACTRAXX wrote:
Kilgore Trout shows Met Ave. Picture labled Junction Blvd. PW Branch in the Corona/Emlhurst area... Now I'm totally lost, help!
That is Junction Blvd on Port Washington Branch (elevated 1930). The trolley line evolved into the present Q72 bus.