Railroad Forums 

• Aerial Photos of the LIRR in the 1960s-1970s

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1476777  by LB

Matt, Horn Construction Company of Merrick was the prime contractor for the Amityville/Lindenhurst/Copiague & Merrick/Bellmore projects. I think they also did work on the Shinnecock Canal Bridge. They used to be located on Hewlett Avenue in Merrick. Not sure if they're still around, but they may have records of the projects as well. Good luck with the research!
 #1477600  by MattAmity90

Called the Amityville Historical Society yesterday, and they have information and a cache of photos. I have to get them today because I was out when they left a message on my answering machine.
 #1477929  by MattAmity90

I got off the phone with the Amityville Historical Society, and they have plenty of photos (including one from May 20th, 1925) of the construction before, during, and afterwards. To come along with it they have newspaper clippings, and all the exact sources for research. Unfortunately, I have to go TO THEM which won't be until around my birthday. Well, I guess it's going to be a extremely happy 28th birthday to this young historian. I'll also check if aerial photographs exist, because if Lindenhurst was photographed from helicopter then Copiague and Amityville also had to be.
 #1478075  by MACTRAXX

Steve:

Those two aerial photos of Long Island City and Sunnyside Yard may be much older then the topic
target but they are great in any means - what would be interesting is to add a picture of the same
general areas during the 1970s as example to show what has changed up to then. Likely there are
recent years aerial pictures of the Sunnyside and LIC areas to even further compare them with...

MACTRAXX
 #1478453  by newkirk

Here's an aerial photo of the LIRR (1939) World's Fair station

Click to enlarge
 #1478459  by MACTRAXX

Bill: Good picture overview looking eastward during the 1939-1940 World's Fair.

All that would be needed to stay on topic would be a overview of the same area during the
1964-1965 World's Fair to show that there was little change in the basic layout of the area.

Another addition would be to add a photo taken during the late 1960s after the conversion
and development of Flushing Meadow Park to see the transformation of the area.

Thank you for sharing this and have a good - and safe - 4th of July holiday :-) MACTRAXX
 #1478490  by newkirk

Mactraxx wrote:Bill: Good picture overview looking eastward during the 1939-1940 World's Fair.
Thanks, I see at that time, the LIRR had a separate entrance to the "Fair" while the 1964 "Fair" had a combined LIRR subway entrance.
 #1481325  by MattAmity90

I got a surprise in the mail from the NYSDOT office. I wound up getting a disc that contains schematics and construction drawings of what they had planned for the projects. It only came with photos from Massapequa Park and Bellmore that were taken on March 27th, 1978. In the slides of Massapequa Park you can see a M1 pulling into the station from the car as it was driving West on Sunrise.

The drawings of the projects, in addition to A-C-L it gave me Massapequa Park, Bellmore, Merrick, and surprisingly MASSAPEQUA!

All I have to do is wait until I go out to visit in October to pay respects, and then head over to the historical society and I'll have all the research I need.