Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1471153  by ConstanceR46

Hi. While walking past it i noticed that Arch Street ha gotten a lot of activity compared to a couple weeks ago.

-A couple sets of MNRR M3s (!!!) were located there, does anyone know what for?

-Both M7 sets from the Main Line Derailment in 2016 were there, with the Cab of 7033 looking stripped of paneling. Repair or being used for parts?

-The P72 and M1 set previously there had been relocated.
 #1471168  by DutchRailnut

Metro North cars are there for PTC install and Camera mods by outside contractor.
 #1471174  by 452 Card

Dutch-
Why can't MNCRR do the PTC mod in-house? I remember an electric car shop somewhere around Nyack when I was on loan there during the FL-9 project.
 #1471176  by DutchRailnut

not sure , only thing I know is private contractors can not work in MN shops , not sure why project is not done inhouse .

Shop is in Harmon , I must have met you ??, I did a lot of LIRR FL-9ac testing with the pair of C1's.
 #1471185  by ConstanceR46

Aight, but ain't M9A units slate to replace M3s?

And what are those m7s for?

As for PTC; i think Arch St is Bomb's offical facility to upgrade M7s.
 #1471225  by DutchRailnut

on MN not for while, no MN cars are ordered yet as LIRR is first at the trough.
 #1471240  by R36 Combine Coach

Are the Valhalla wreck cars slated to be moved out of scrap?
 #1471266  by DutchRailnut

no and they are not part of Arch street conversation , they are on hold till all litigation/legal etc is 100% solved.
 #1471397  by freightguy

Years back, the LIRR wouldn’t let Kawasaki do modifications to the C3’s due to being a non union shop. They had to lease property from NY& Atlantic in the former Yard A not too far from Arch St. I do not believe Bombardier is a union shop also.
 #1471702  by jlr3266

LIRR has not officially accepted ownership of Arch St yet. No union issue.
 #1471723  by DogBert

??!!

MTA doesn't own the building proper? If so, who does? It is on their property according to city tax documents.
 #1471746  by DutchRailnut

MTA and LIRR are not synonymous, LIRR has not accepted Arch street yet.
 #1471789  by BuddR32

The LIRR will probably never own the building, but it will remain property of MTA Real Estate
 #1471847  by Backshophoss

Arch St is the running repair shop for ESA trains laid up in what was Yard A.When the Yard is finally configured ,then LIRR will accept Arch St Shop
from MTA Capital projects.
While the current access to the shop is a bit of a bear to get thru,for now a good place for the outside contractors to get the work done.
 #1472217  by ConstanceR46

Alright, so today i saw another pair of M7s (7279+it's mate) laid up next to the other 2 from the Mainline Track Car Kerfuffle, with a couple window boards.

Are they there to be repaired or?