Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by jack butler505

Are there any photos of the spur that ran north-south through Garden City, connecting the current Hempstead line with the main line? I believe there were stations near Stewart Ave.
  by nyandw

jack butler505 wrote:Are there any photos of the spur that ran north-south through Garden City, connecting the current Hempstead line with the main line? I believe there were stations near Stewart Ave.
http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/mineol ... au%20Tower
Garden City at Franklin Ave. view E

Here’s Garden City at Franklin Ave. looking east. The Central branch goes straight, the 1st track to the left is the northwest leg of the wye to Mineola, the 2nd track to the left enters the temporary sub station building and the track to the right is the same as today; heading to Hempstead with next stop: CLP! The shanty in the center is the crossing watchman’s.

The cabin at Franklin Ave. was “B” cabin and not only was it for the crossing watchman to protect the crossing, he also operated a dwarf signal and derails for the trolley line that crossed the tracks.

When the trolley line was discontinued along Franklin Ave., and when “HC” tower (later “GARDEN” tower) was closed and “GARDEN” cabin opened in January, 1939 at Franklin Ave., there was no longer any need for the old “B” cabin as the crossing was NOW protected by “GARDEN” cabin.

Switches and signals were handled by “HC” tower at Hempstead Crossing. Tower is visible in the center background and beyond it, with pointed, octagonal roof, is the old brick Stewart-era water tower at the crossing of the LIRR’s tracks and the CRR of LI’s tracks. Info: Dave Keller
  by jack butler505

Thanks for sharing!

I'm guessing there are no photos of the northwest wye as it continued on to Mineola?
  by jack butler505

thanks!