Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1468442  by BuddR32

Kelly&Kelly wrote:We didn't put that in bold. Don't know why it's showing up that way. Doesn't look like that on our screen.
Sorry, I added the bold. Thank you for the information. I never knew that and like learning new stuff like that.
 #1468481  by Sir Ray

The Wiki article is a good summary of the 1960s Program For Action ("New Routes") plans: Program For Action
The Atlantic Branch Southeast Queens Subway plan is mentioned:
The Southeast Queens portion of the line would split from the IND Queens Boulevard Line using pre-existing bellmouths at Briarwood, would go to Springfield Boulevard in southeastern Queens using the LIRR Atlantic Branch, with a transfer to the LIRR at Jamaica. This Southeast Queens extension, which would use the upper level of the planned bi-level Archer Avenue subway, was the most important of several proposed lines along LIRR branches; it was originally intended to extend to the Laurelton LIRR station
 #1469118  by adamj023

Head-end View wrote:The Brooklyn passengers are getting screwed; losing the cross-platform transfer to have to go up and over to and from Platform F. Ridiculous....... :(

Rumor has had it in recent years that MTA may try to spin-off the Brooklyn Service to either the subway system or a kind of separate division of LIRR. We'll see. But either way it stinks for those riders.
Platform access at Jamaica shoukdn’t be an issue. Right now the LIRR connection from Jamaica to Airtrain requires a changeover and they are working to make transfers more seamless.

The same can be done with the new Brooklyn platforms. Having dedicated platforms is necessary considering population growth of Brooklyn right now and the usage of those trains. Sure, more inconvenience for transfers but also more dedicated trains and train service. Transfers is a different issue that can be worked on with better navigation and platform access.

What I want is higher speed switches finally installed at Jamaica.
 #1469329  by commuterjoe

Today's problems at Penn Station illustrate the point made by Head-end View. This morning's traffic report said that some trains were being diverted from Penn to Atlantic Terminal. Would this be possible/practical once the Brooklyn tracks have been reconfigured?
 #1469338  by flexliner

Listening to WABC today on internet radio heard report of Amtrak switch issues
causing LIRR delays to NYP
i hope they preserve at least a possibility of sending trains from the east to FBA
total cutoff would really screw up possible alternatives that might be needed from time to time

in a worse way though somewhat similar to downgrading of the lower montauk
which could have at least been an alternate for diesels to LIC in times of need but no longer
at least the FBA line is electrified

to me at least whatever changes they make will screw those who up to now have either
a direct ride or cross platform transfer to FBA or even lower Manhattan
but a total disconnect (and moving the line to NYCTA) would seem to me counter intuitive and counter productive
and not customer friendly

just my 2cents
 #1469355  by gamer4616

In looking at the proposed maps, westbound trains can make a station stop on tracks 2,3,4,5,11,and 12 (new platform F being built between 11 and 12) and continue west to Brooklyn.
 #1469360  by flexliner

Will they be leaving existing crossovers that (today) allow trains from 1 thru 5 to head to FBA?
Or will those be removed?
 #1469389  by adamj023

Jamaica is an integral part of the LIRR as a hub station. Jamaica can also be the biggest bottleneck and choke point in the LIRR system. Hopefully LIRR can run more trains through City Terminal Zone as well when the additional platforms are up.

They shouldn’t just think Brooklyn needs the addiitonal capacity and should deploy it where it is needed. More platforms means more capacity for all trains along with the higher speed switches as well.
 #1469406  by Head-end View

Well, if for whatever short-sighted reasons LIRR chooses to sever most Jamaica tracks from the Atlantic Terminal Line, it would mean that they're banking on the idea that if there is a service suspension to/from Penn, they could divert a few more trains to Grand Central and Hunters Pt./LIC and terminate some trains at Woodside. Of course that wouldn't be of much help if a problem occurs on the four-track main-line between Woodside and Jamaica, and all service west of Jamaica gets suspended.

The LIRR's best bet will still be to maintain thru-service capability to Brooklyn at Jamaica, even if normal Atlantic Terminal Service is primarily at the new Platform F.
 #1469577  by adamj023

Harold interlocking and the East side access project play into this as well.

I am more than sure MTA will adjust the trains according to usage on the tracks and switches will allow them to use all tracks on the system with more crossovers and the like but as of now it looks like the new platform will be dedicated to Brooklyn exclusively and I gather it will remain that way barring unforseen maintenance or emergency situations. I am not sure how current track assignments are now but a new platform at Jamaica makes sense which along with higher speed switches and Harold Interlocking improvements will allow for increased frequency.

LIRR does get delayed now and the M9 deliveries and the other ongoing projects will help with on time arrival and departures.