Railroad Forums 

• Service Suspended East of Mineola

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1466739  by MattAmity90

Judging from rendering artwork that they have displayed at Mineola, during Gov. Cuomo's visits, and along the Main Line where meetings were set up, it shows that the MAIN LINE Willis Ave. crossing would be eliminated, but the OYSTER BAY Willis Ave. crossing would stay only for railroad vehicle traffic and have the triangular area converted into a LIRR worksite. This means that the way in which Willis Ave. would be eliminated to main vehicular traffic and it shows it in the renderings, is to literally construct NOT a trestle, but a tunnel that goes under because they want to maintain the land of that triangle. They don't want to turn it into a DIVIDE look-a-like.
LIRR_Willis_Alt1_Aerial_04-07-17.jpg
All the artwork can be seen in the third track topic.
 #1466907  by workextra

From that rendering, it appears that engineers are enjoying their time grappling the Mineola traffic issue.
Fact is the roads are tight in his area and there’s really no room for developement.
That NB left turn lane on Roslyn rd at the light just north of the main is absolutely a traffic failure and an accident waiting to happen. They must make that a regular lane and ban all left turns at that intersection.
As for the “WYE” area. Can the LIRR take the old body shop property leave a small private crossing for Willis and the driveway off Roslyn road for LIRR use only? Employee parking/engineering Dept
That would be a grand slam for LIRR.
 #1466992  by MACTRAXX

WE (and Everyone:) Yes - this topic has taken a turn to be about Mineola and its grade crossings.

In the posted rendering K's Auto Repair Shop - which was destroyed in the fire just over one year
ago - is at the lower left. I do think if the Willis Avenue underpass is built that it is a good idea to
retain the curved OB Branch crossing and add parking for LIRR vehicles there. I mentioned this in
case anyone was unaware of where that location - 74 Willis Avenue - was.

Eliminating the Willis Avenue and Main Street crossings will be the key here during the Third Track
Project - Why some would be against this improvement is beyond me. MACTRAXX
 #1467044  by MattAmity90

MACTRAXX wrote:WE (and Everyone:) Yes - this topic has taken a turn to be about Mineola and its grade crossings.

In the posted rendering K's Auto Repair Shop - which was destroyed in the fire just over one year
ago - is at the lower left. I do think if the Willis Avenue underpass is built that it is a good idea to
retain the curved OB Branch crossing and add parking for LIRR vehicles there. I mentioned this in
case anyone was unaware of where that location - 74 Willis Avenue - was.

Eliminating the Willis Avenue and Main Street crossings will be the key here during the Third Track
Project - Why some would be against this improvement is beyond me. MACTRAXX
The Willis Avenue crossing has become the new Roslyn Road, and it is treacherous too because both Willis Avenue crossings are 100 feet apart. I do like the idea of the tunnel and not eliminating the Oyster Bay Branch grade crossing because the curve has a MAS of 30 MPH, and it would see LIRR parking, or employee parking in that triangle area, so there wouldn't be any traffic. They could very well widen Willis Avenue to 4 lanes like they did with Roslyn Road.