Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1465549  by Jeff Smith

https://nypost.com/2018/03/17/say-bye-b ... platforms/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm probably starting a fire storm, but here goes:
It’s last call for alcohol on the Long Island Rail Road.

The eight bar carts that ply suburban commuters with rush-hour booze are going the way of the Harvey Wallbanger, The Post has learned.

Come March 27, the five carts on the platforms at Penn Station, along with one each at the Jamaica, Atlantic Terminal and Hunterspoint Avenue stops, will disappear.

“These are the last of the bar carts on any part of the MTA system,” agency board member Mitchell Pally told The Post on Saturday.

“I do not think we should be serving alcohol,” Pally said. “I’ve been saying this for 12 years, ever since I got on the board.”
“It’s absolute bulls–t!’ fumed carpenter Matt Brown, 46, who plunked down $2.50 for a 16-ounce Budweiser before catching a train to Huntington. “They got rid of the smoking cars years ago.

Then they had bar cars. They’re gone. And this is the only thing that was left. It was part of the pleasure of taking this service. I pay $300 for a monthly pass. It’s a crock of sh-t.”
One mixologist, Jim Ferragamo, posted a sign thanking his customers.

“It has been a pleasure creating friendships and getting to know all of you. I take pride in knowing that I was able to bring some relief and joy on even the most hectic days. Thank you all for your support and generosity,” it read.

“I’ve had 20 great years,” said Track 19 bartender Dave Telehany, who shook hands and accepted condolences from longtime customers. “Some of these people are part of my family. I’ve been to christenings, communions. One of my customer’s daughters babysits my kids.”
 #1465552  by DutchRailnut

time for enterprising young individual to get into filling a void, pretty sure MTA want cut on using property but this could be money maker for someone.
 #1465562  by ConstanceR46

DutchRailnut wrote:time for enterprising young individual to get into filling a void, pretty sure MTA want cut on using property but this could be money maker for someone.
You buy the beer, i peddle it, we split 50/50?
 #1465628  by 452 Card

The important question here is: What position will these eight employees be moved to? Years ago, they had the choice to become trainmen. I don't know if that still exists. I'm sure if they are of retirement age that would be an option.
 #1465629  by deathtopumpkins

“These are the last of the bar carts on any part of the MTA system,” agency board member Mitchell Pally told The Post on Saturday.
I thought there were still bar carts at Grand Central? Or are those gone too?
 #1465643  by tomdoyle409

In the mid-70's, I was a regular commuter on a train that left Long Island City for Oyster Bay around 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM. Included in the consist was an ex Boston & Maine (?) pre-war passenger coach that had been converted into a rolling bar. Given its popularity, particularly on summer evenings, the LIRR had to have made a significant profit from its operation, allowing for all costs, direct and indirect. This train was also unique in that it carried a private heavyweight parlor car, appropriately named Locust Valley or Oyster Bay.
 #1465655  by 4behind2

Freight and the Special Service Departments were the two items that actually made a profit for the carrier (along with a few branches). Of course, these two departments have been summarily dismissed by the proletariat so the railroad can concentrate on their "core business". I would assume libations will also disappear on what passes for parlor cars this summer as well?

MTA Board Member Mitch Pally doth protest too much as he had (has) vested interests in representing bars/restaurants around Penn Sta. There was even a published article about his dealings a few years back.

Unless there is a total ban on alcohol coming to the carrier, this service eased the pain of the daily rider.
 #1465747  by LRail

What does this mean for this summer's Cannonball? Or the North Fork Wine train?
-Lee
 #1465762  by Liquidcamphor

This is the result of state agencies that forget that they are in a customer service business. Bar cars and carts are a left over from the days of old railroading, when they wanted people to enjoy the ride. Now all they care about is moving people whether they like it or not. The attendants were offered jobs as coach cleaners and station cleaners.
 #1465854  by Backshophoss

Figure on some of the bars and Deli's at NY Penn,Jamaica,and "Atlantic Terminal"(aka,Flatbush Ave) come up with "take out"windows for "fast beer" sales.