Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1463761  by nyandw

MP1 Hunterspoint Ave LI City view east, north side of tracks, at east end of station platform c. 1999 Archive: Dave Keller

MP43 Montauk Branch East Islip Irish Lane Photo: Steve Lynch

MP103 original style milepost from west of Amagansett relocated to former Sag Harbor Express House for display 5/1977 (Bill Madden-Dave Keller)
Note: The bldg is in use as a garden center.
 #1463844  by workextra

Hi Steve, I guess you saw my comment about the Wantagh Milepoat 26.
Well with that and this topic. I’d like to add that all mile post between Jamaica and Montauk including those missing have been accounted for and locations noted. Believe it or not the vast majority is not only there but could be made out.
A good number are rusted or defaced beyond usefulness. And a few are missing or completely damaged in place.
Biggest find and culture shock for LIRR is the Milage is accurate to Jamaica via southern road “Atlantic” between Jamaica and Valley.
And the .7 of a mile discrepancy between MP G10 and MP S14
With mile 13 being 13.7 miles long.
Can anyone else look into this?
 #1463867  by nyandw

LIRR mileage WAS calculated from LI City until Penn station opened in 1910. mileage is ALWAYS from L. I. City they are correct, but only as of 1942-43.

Then, mileage was calculated from Penn with the exception of the Montauk branch which, surprisingly enough, was STILL calculated from LI City and the Atlantic branch whose mileage was calculated from Flatbush Ave.

While the LIRR calculated their mileage from LI City, the SSRR calculated theirs from their terminal in Bushwick.

As a result, their route varied slightly from the LIRR’s later Montauk branch , AND, due to many track realignments over the years, their mileage varied from the LIRR’s mileage between the same two points, but only, on average by about ¼ to ½ mile or so. It wasn’t more than ¼ to ½ mile different at that point.

I'm sorry to say that I have absolutely NO idea as to when the mileposts were put in place.

Judging by the differing styles I've seen in photos over the years, they were obviously put in place at different times . . . perhaps to replace a broken or stolen one or perhaps to indicate corrected mileage when track work was done. There were many locations on LI where curves were removed and tracks realigned, thus cutting off distances at varying locations.

As many of those old photos I've seen show nicely manicured markers, the railroad must've sent a crew out every several years or so to paint them back to legibility. Back then, their only enemy was the elements of weather. Today we have vandals added to the mix. Dave Keller, LIRR Historian 12/18/2008,