Railroad Forums 

• Pinelawn new track observation

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1460813  by mirrodie

Just an observation and question...

Crossing over the Pinelawn RR Xing, the new track that was laid recently goes over the road but seems to drop6-8 inches in less than 100 feet it seems. Take a look. I’m no track worker, but it seems like a steep drop over a short distance.

Has anyone else seen what I’m talking about? I’m wondering how that may affect train handling Iran eastbound express is hitting that spot.
 #1460882  by tj48

Part of the Main line double track construction. The track you saw was just recently laid, it still needs ballast.
 #1460921  by MattAmity90

Yeah, they need to add the ballast, level it out, and don't forget the third rail has to be added as well. It will be leveled, don't worry. By the way, they are prepping the 4th and final turnout switch for the new interlocking in Wyandanch to be installed, which will be put in during the next weekend outage whenever that is.
 #1460985  by Train2009

MattAmity90 wrote:Yeah, they need to add the ballast, level it out, and don't forget the third rail has to be added as well. It will be leveled, don't worry. By the way, they are prepping the 4th and final turnout switch for the new interlocking in Wyandanch to be installed, which will be put in during the next weekend outage whenever that is.
The next outage is happening now this weekend.
http://web.mta.info/lirr/Timetable/02-1 ... %20303.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;