Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1461474  by nyandw

Here we go: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrCl ... liners.htm
LIRR C-Liner #2004, Train #4012 as depicted on John Scala's LIRR book cover: 'Diesels of the Sunrise Trail'
The author's caption: "Railfan Norman Kohl captures train 4012, with doubleheaded C-Liners (second unit in tow as they did not multiple) just west of Bethpage on 10/13/63."

As the second unit, in tow, couldn't be MU'd and no need for multiple crews in diesel lash up consists, the misnomer of 'doubleheaded' as applied to steam lingers here. I turn this back over to the OP.
 #1461505  by BAR

Around 1950 as a young railfan I was talking with a manager or foreman at the NYC Harmon Shops and told I preferred Alco locomotives to EMD's. He rolled his eyes and to express his strong preference for EMD's said that if a repair took one hour on an EMD, a similar repair took two hours on an ALCO, three hours on a Baldwin, and four hours on an FM.
 #1464643  by Alcoman

Speaking of the "C" Liner, the LIRR has asked ALCO for a proposal to re-engine them with ALCO 12-251 engines in the early 60's. Needless to say, it proved that buying brand new C420's was a better deal.
 #1464647  by Head-end View

Interesting that the C-Liners had a shorter life on the LIRR than the current generation of LIRR diesels that have been very troublesome. I'm surprised they haven't been replaced early.
 #1464650  by Teutobergerwald

Those F-M opposed piston engines were highly coveted for marine applications. The car-bodys were scrapped, along with the wheel sets, but the engines and generators were hot commodities, post-scrapping. I'd love to know how many are still in use today.
 #1464658  by Cameron Wolk

Alcoman wrote:Speaking of the "C" Liner, the LIRR has asked ALCO for a proposal to re-engine them with ALCO 12-251 engines in the early 60's. Needless to say, it proved that buying brand new C420's was a better deal.
The fact that Fairbanks Morse is still producing its famous OP engine I'm surprised the LI didn't keep them rolling for at least another decade. They would've made great conversions for the power-cab program no doubt. Like I said with Glueck I'm not sure why management thought it was a good idea to buy the C-liners without MU like all the other roads did, it was poorly procured. Unfortunately to maintain them you needed mechanics who had patience to read their manuals. FM built locomotives that were ahead of their time and it killed them financially. It probably would've been better long term if the railroad had purchased the PAs Alco suggested and moved on.
 #1464686  by RGlueck

Or FPA's, similar to what Montreal produced for the Canadian roads. Those would have been the ideal fit and answer a long term development program. FA's were 1500 HP and 1600 HP when turned out. The CLiners were 2000 HP and 2400 HP respectively. Furthermore, PRR had a lot to say about early LIRR Diesel power, and it's quite possible the purchase of the H16-44's and CLiners might have been part of a larger purchase deal.

Some of the salvaged FM prime movers and generators have been trace by serial number to tug boat applications. My understanding is, one was abandoned in Viet Nam, when the Southern regime collapsed. Nova55 probably has the notes on all this.
 #1464707  by scopelliti

The C-Liners were 2000 or 2400 horsepower.. perhaps the LIRR didn't feel it would ever have a need to MU two of them? The RS-1 was 1000 HP and the RS-3 was only 1600 HP, so MU might have made more sense for them.
 #1464729  by Ðauntless

The Oppies from 1504 and 1509 were in the tug Socrates, since sold to Nigeria. Those were the last I know of.

FM's are dead for Railroad and Marine use. Standby generation is the only real use.
 #1464848  by Nasadowsk

Ðauntless wrote:The Oppies from 1504 and 1509 were in the tug Socrates, since sold to Nigeria. Those were the last I know of.

FM's are dead for Railroad and Marine use. Standby generation is the only real use.
Seen them in water/wastewater pumping stations, too. Pretty rare though.
 #1465106  by Tadman

Head-end View wrote:Interesting that the C-Liners had a shorter life on the LIRR than the current generation of LIRR diesels that have been very troublesome. I'm surprised they haven't been replaced early.
I believe the FM's were under PRR ownership while the current DE/DM's are state and federal funding. That could have something to do with it. PRR, while bleeding money, could still buy 20 new locos. The state can't do anything without a ten year feasibility study, and when they do it, they have to run whatever they bought until the feds say they can retire it. It has something to do with federal funding guidelines and is why certain "retired" rolling stock sits around for a few more years until it's scrapped.