Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1561900  by DogBert

Anyone know if any more M3s will be shipped out to the great razorblade factory in the sky?

The two M3s down at Blissville are basically scrapping themselves. I went by there two week ago and was somewhat surprised to find that thieves had found more wiring and parts to rip off the heavily graffiti coated cars. I half expect someone to just start blowtorching them on the spot.
 #1565617  by Pensyfan19

I have heard that as of two days ago, the M3s´ inspections are up, they are no longer usable, and are currently stored in the Mid-Suffolk Yard and Long Beach for scrap soon. Can anyone confirm this, or that the M3s are now officially retired?
 #1565650  by newkirk

Pensyfan19 wrote: I have heard that as of two days ago, the M3s´ inspections are up, they are no longer usable, and are currently stored in the Mid-Suffolk Yard and Long Beach for scrap soon. Can anyone confirm this, or that the M3s are now officially retired?
I don't think they are retired are or in mothballs. Recently one night I heard an MU train high balling past Farmingdale and judging by the sound of the horns and inboard trucks, it was M-3's. In fact, I heard M-3's once in a while at night doing this. I can tell the difference between the M-3's, M-7's and M-9's by their horns. They are sound different.

I have heard that there is some kind of FRA rule that equipment cannot be mothballed indefinitely and must be run and inspected even without passengers. Can anyone confirms this ?
 #1565665  by Head-end View

Does anyone know for sure if there have been any M3 revenue trains at all in the last few months. Or if there will ever be any more of them again in the foreseeable future?
 #1565677  by gregorygrice

Head-end View wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:49 pm Does anyone know for sure if there have been any M3 revenue trains at all in the last few months. Or if there will ever be any more of them again in the foreseeable future?
Short answer, no. :-D
 #1573897  by awtprod

There was at least one set down here in Long Beach. I think it was moved yesterday morning because I heard what sounded like a M3 horn from my apartment.
 #1573935  by freightguy

I think they're brought to maspeth yard on NYAR for their final send off and stripping down. A few sets have left so far.