Railroad Forums 

• Elmont/Belmont Race Track Station

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1335085  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

Good to see that the LIRR service on Belmont Stakes Day worked out somewhat well compared to the getaway
problems experienced after the 2014 race...Again having a Triple Crown winner - and enthusiastic racing fans
in a better mood - along with the Goo Goo Dolls concert helped matters altogether here...

I just have to wonder if the LIRR counted or attempted to count the ridership exiting and entering at Queens Village
and if not directly they may have a way of indirectly finding out about how much by way of examples of
ticket sales to and from Queens Village of types such as the City Ticket which were good only on June 6th...

MACTRAXX
 #1335246  by Hawaiitiki

ExCon90 wrote:Jacques Tati couldn't have staged it better. (Imagine handling that volume of people at low-level platforms.)
I survived this horror twice. Between the low platforms, a headache from the sun and the beers, folks either being belligerent or passed out, and standing room only on the train after a longgg day, I swear they shoulda passed out "I survived" t-shirts.
 #1335279  by MattAmity90

I recently messaged the MTA LIRR a question if they were going to add another or two more high-level platforms in the future since the new ones are labeled PLATFORM B and PLATFORM D with Tracks 4/5 and Tracks 7/8 on the signs. I got this reply:

We posed your question to our Assistant Chief Engineer, who replied: "The reason we installed the high level platforms at the location of existing Platform B and D was due to the layout of the yard throat. The two tracks coming off the Belmont Wye each split into 4 tracks in the station area. Each high level platform is in a different split, which allows parallel moves to occur. For instance, a train can pull off track 7 lined for the west leg of the wye to go to Jamaica, while a train coming off the east leg of the wye (from the Hempstead Branch) can move into track 3 in the station simultaneously. This was a major part of the operational improvement that allowed us to move significantly more trains (and hence people!) in a shorter period of time.

For the immediate future, we will use the remaining tracks (2,5,6) for MW equipment storage. Track 1 is used for NYAR to deliver oats to the track. In the future, if additional development occurred at the site, additional high level platforms could be installed at the old locations of Platforms A and C."
 #1335395  by vince

It seems there are two more winners in the Triple Crown; The LIRR & the Belmont Track fans.

Well done LIRR!
regards,
vince
 #1473439  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: 5/19/2018

With Justified's victory in today's Preakness (Pimlico Race Track in Baltimore,MD) there will now be
the possibility of a Triple Crown winner this year - and put more emphasis on this year's Belmont
Stakes race on Saturday June 9th.

It will be interesting to again see how the LIRR handles the expected crowds on race day especially
with the updated Belmont station facilities and track access. Expect schedules to be released in the
next ten days for Belmont Stakes Day.

http://www.belmontstakes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MACTRAXX
 #1475597  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: 6/9/2018

Today's the day...This evening during the 6pm hour will be the 150th run of the Belmont Stakes.
The MTA has posted a special Belmont Stakes schedule for Belmont Park service. With this year's
triple crown possibility and good weather later today a record crowd is expected at Belmont Park.

http://web.mta.info/supplemental/lirr/l ... sjune9.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As part of providing extra service to Belmont Park there is a late afternoon and evening reduction
of Hempstead Branch service from hourly to every two hours. What this will do is reduce alternate
train service serving Queens Village - which is roughly around a mile from Belmont Park by way of
Hempstead Avenue and Springfield Boulevard - to this westbound: 3:42,5:42,7:42,9:42,11:42pm.

http://web.mta.info/supplemental/lirr/j ... educed.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Using Queens Village-even factoring in a walk that should average 20-25 minutes-can be favorable
to standing in long lines waiting to board westbound trains at Belmont after the race that according
to the railroad may be a wait of an hour or more. Queens Village would also offer the option of the
$4.25 City Ticket to travel westbound towards Atlantic Terminal and Penn Station.

It will be interesting to see how the LIRR Belmont service runs today - and if there will be happy
fans provided Justify can win the Triple Crown this evening...MACTRAXX
 #1475622  by MattAmity90

Just to let everyone know, this is the 100th Running that Thoroughbred Racing has recognized the Triple Crown, so if you thought Belmont is going to be packed, you could be seeing history made today. Last time the Triple Crown was won was actually when Belmont was converted from five low-level platforms with fixated steps to two high-level platforms in 2015, and that horse's name was American Pharoah (although in the name it is spelled incorrectly, it is spelled Pharaoh).
 #1475644  by whitepot46

And, as luck would have it, there are signal problems in Queens Interlocking. The scanner has been going crazy all afternoon with Queens trying to route trains in and out of the Belmont spur.
 #1475671  by Backshophoss

From the TV coverage,Belmont was packed solid to see Justify become the 13th Triple Crown winner!
Wonder if Queens Tower was repaired enough for the Trips back home?
 #1475694  by CentralValleyRail

Backshophoss wrote:From the TV coverage,Belmont was packed solid to see Justify become the 13th Triple Crown winner!
Went to the Belmont as I've done the last 6 years.

2:00PM train getting out there ran over an hour late enroute to Belmont.

Coming home waited till the last race and saw a bit of the concert, waited all of 0 seconds in the queue and the train (while every seat full)was not packed pulled out 5 minutes after I got on for a quick 30 min ride back to Penn Station.
 #1475699  by MattAmity90

CentralValleyRail wrote:
Backshophoss wrote:From the TV coverage,Belmont was packed solid to see Justify become the 13th Triple Crown winner!
Went to the Belmont as I've done the last 6 years.

2:00PM train getting out there ran over an hour late enroute to Belmont.

Coming home waited till the last race and saw a bit of the concert, waited all of 0 seconds in the queue and the train (while every seat full)was not packed pulled out 5 minutes after I got on for a quick 30 min ride back to Penn Station.
What band headlined the concert? When American Pharaoh did it 3 years ago it was my favorite band the Goo Goo Dolls, but I know it wasn't them. They are touring nowhere near New York City (not even Wantagh), and are preparing for their special 20th Anniversary of Dizzy Up the Girl tour (that album being one of my childhood staples and association with the LIRR growing up, good tunes and trains, those were years I'll cherish). If it was Matchbox Twenty, Third Eye Blind, Foo Fighters, Lifehouse, or Gin Blossoms then it would be worthy to stay!
 #1475762  by Teutobergerwald

Any boxcars spotted on the eastern-most track for the Racetrack, or did NYA pull them out to make room for race day?
 #1475799  by BuddR32

Teutobergerwald wrote:Any boxcars spotted on the eastern-most track for the Racetrack, or did NYA pull them out to make room for race day?
No cars stored whatsoever, just M7s in and out all day. Except for a 1500 protect.