Railroad Forums 

• You think Housy track is bad... Fremont/Fresh Pond Jct.

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1251654  by DogBert

I never heard of the new haven derailment in the tunnel - do you have more details?

The tower is long gone, and the tracks are in far better shape today - not sure what speed it's good for now, but it doesn't really matter since there are no through trains anymore.
 #1251763  by shlustig

Briefly, a crew had been instructed to leave the cars of their train just inside the tunnel. Several hours later on another trick, a crew which was shoving caboose first was routed on the same track as the cars which had been left inside the tunnel. One or two of the guys in the caboose were killed in the collision.

Noel Weaver will probably have more details.
 #1251828  by DogBert

Ah thank you - that was enough to find this article:
http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract. ... 5F458785F9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Flagman killed, 2 other crew injured (hopefully they didn't pass later from the injuries...)

I know many cars have 'ran away' and derailed beyond the tunnel (at least 3 wrecked cars were down there just a few years back) - but I never heard of that collision before.
 #1251895  by Noel Weaver

shlustig wrote:Briefly, a crew had been instructed to leave the cars of their train just inside the tunnel. Several hours later on another trick, a crew which was shoving caboose first was routed on the same track as the cars which had been left inside the tunnel. One or two of the guys in the caboose were killed in the collision.

Noel Weaver will probably have more details.
I know more about this one BUT i would rather not discuss it. It left a very sour taste in me which I would like to forget. I worked that territory both as a fireman and later on as an engineer. At one time the line through the tunnel was protected by signals but Penn Central removed the signals which contributed to this incident. Vandalism was also a factor in this area. I would rather remember running this territory with fast freights non stop from Bay Ridge to Cedar Hill through here at 40 MPH, right out to track two at New Rochelle in the PM rush, that was railroading. (Train GB-4 was the one)
Noel Weaver
 #1252073  by DogBert

joetrain59 wrote:Well perhaps this post should be moved to LIRR page.
But doesn't NY&A run to Bay Ridge, to get car float interchange?
Joe D
They do.

This is maybe better in PC or LIRR where there are a lot of LI railroading history related posts.
 #1252109  by emfinite

There's current LIRR passenger yard trackage that is worse than what is pictured above in Fremont. That's not bad at all.

Current day, the tower is gone and there are two or three new tracks that NYAR has added for storing cars.
 #1252131  by jayrmli

I've seen a lot worse. The track was in about the same shape when NYA took over in 1997...minus Fremont Tower.

Here's a video of some track that's a little worse:
http://youtu.be/g11qWro1LzQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;