Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1234336  by R36 Combine Coach

It's been 20 years. The crime scene, car 9892 (now 9946) still runs on. And more horrifying and disturbing events have appears regular on the news in the two decades since. I will not bring on any politics here.
 #1234339  by lirr42

It has been in the news a lot lately because of the twentieth anniversary. I believe a documentary about the incident also came out recently as well.
 #1234433  by fdthird

As a LIRR rider who has ridden to and from Mineola for over 30 years this incident struck very close to home and I always think about it when I hear about the 5:33 from Penn. I wonder why in the scheme of things the LIRR didn't change the 5:33 to the 5:32 or 5:34 as I;m sure I'm not the only one who always associates that train with this event.
 #1234466  by Doc Emmet Brown

Yes 20 years, hard to believe. What is it about the first week of Dec anyway? 1941 Pearl Harbor, 1980 John Lennon, 1993 Merrilon ave, now 2013, Metro North.
That documentary will be shown on TV eventually, when I find out Ill post it.
I might be in it, I was not there the night it happened, however I was the Conductor the next night when all the media was on the train. I was filmed several times Collecting tickets.
May all rest in peace.
 #1234509  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: It is hard to believe that 20 years has passed since the LIRR shootings on December 7,1993...

The LIRR section has at least one previous topic section concerning this infamous incident and it should be bumped up to the present
and these posts included...I remember that not only did I post memories in it there were other memories posted...

The title to this topic should at the very least be changed to: "LIRR Shootings - 20 years ago 12/7/93" because I feel that this title
"Remembering Merillon Avenue" is just a little too vague for those members here that do not know about this tragedy...

As we all know time can heal all wounds but there are some that are so deeply entrenched in our minds that we will never forget
them as long as we live...this being one of them...

Thoughts from MACTRAXX
 #1235991  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: I checked back and found that past topic dating from 2006 on the 12/7/93 LIRR Shootings:

See: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 63&t=33068" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This includes posted memories of 12/7/93 - including my own...

MACTRAXX
 #1306391  by R36 Combine Coach

Doc Emmet Brown wrote:Yes 20 years, hard to believe.
That documentary will be shown on TV eventually, when I find out Ill post it.
A year later, any updates on the film?

In 1998, there was a TV movie, The Long Island Incident produced by Columbia/TriStar and NBC, which depicts the story of Carolyn McCarthy. Although shot in Toronto, the film had Barbra Streisand as executive producer and McCarthy herself was a paid consultant and makes a brief cameo (for more interesting facts, see the Trivia and Goofs section on IMDB).
 #1306434  by Crabman1130

RGlueck wrote:Do people remember the lovely and late Kitty Genovese?
Most of us are too young to remember her. That was 50 years ago and probably didn't have the coverage of the Merillon Ave incident.
 #1306436  by docsteve

Crabman1130 wrote:
RGlueck wrote:Do people remember the lovely and late Kitty Genovese?
Most of us are too young to remember her. That was 50 years ago and probably didn't have the coverage of the Merillon Ave incident.
I remember Kitty Genovese, and I remember Bill Ryan on the Channel 4 news (Pressman/Ryan Report) saying he hoped those people slept well that night.
 #1306511  by Head-end View

Actually, the Kitty Genovese murder did get almost as much attention as the Colin Ferguson incident. I remember as a kid watching the talk-shows with my parents in the weeks afterwards where it was discussed at length. I believe that incident contributed to the NYPD establishing the first city-wide police-emergency phone number in 1964 which was 440-1234, a forerunner to 911 which came to NYC in 1968.

BTW, there was a good documentary on TV recently that researched the incident and the people involved much more thoroughly than had been done before. I forget what channel it was on, but if it's shown again, it's well worth seeing.
 #1306723  by MattAmity90

After the investigation was over, I think they should have scrapped M3 cars 9891 and 9892 instead of renumbering them 9945 and 9946.

Hard to believe my sister was only 10 months old when this happened, and I was 3. My Dad was still riding the rails, and at 5:33 he was actually on a Westbound since he worked the night shift for the NYPD. Everyone will remember Merillon Avenue as the last stop for the 5:33 PM from Penn Station to Hicksville.

RIP to all the victims.

FYI: The Sandy Hook Shooting took place during the second week of December 2012 on the 14th.
 #1306959  by RGlueck

Just to note, one of my comments was deleted from this conversation. I don't appreciate the censorship.
 #1306982  by R36 Combine Coach

MattAmity90 wrote:After the investigation was over, I think they should have scrapped M3 cars 9891 and 9892 instead of renumbering them 9945 and 9946.
Rail equipment involved in fatal events is often rebuilt or restored to service instead of being scrapped. NJT rebuilt 4148 as 4219, for example. The C69/C77 units involved in the July 2005 London bombings were rebuilt with new numbers. NYCT's MCI cruiser coach 2185 (severely damaged on 9/11/01) is now fully restored and is a memorial on wheels. And Columbine High School was not closed, it was renovated and remains open after the shooting.
Head-end View wrote:Actually, the Kitty Genovese murder did get almost as much attention as the Colin Ferguson incident. I believe that incident contributed to the NYPD establishing the first city-wide police-emergency phone number in 1964 which was 440-1234, a forerunner to 911 which came to NYC in 1968.
Coincidence or not with its similarity to the NYCT transit hotline (330-1234)?