Railroad Forums 

• LIRR Mainline Third Track Project

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1414070  by zhaos

The plan for Oyster Bay and Brooklyn do not feel customer-oriented at all. Why isn't there any pushback or discussion of alternatives?
 #1417450  by bellstbarn

In the doctor's office today, I could hear television news reporting on a hearing with regard to the Third Track. I don't know which news broadcast it was, but I was glad to hear: a) 90% of the voices raised were raised in support; b) there was mention of sound barriers.
---
If anyone dismisses the need for sound barriers of some height, please visit the King Kullen parking lot on Sunrise Highway, Bellmore. The racket made by trains on the concrete trestle is terrible. A few years ago, the railroad replaced the tie clips or did some other work, but the noise did not ease up. I contrast the efficiency of the low sound barriers along Air Train, which seem to subdue the noise of wheels, trucks, and track. Huge monies will go into design, and some of it should find effective noise reduction.

---
About ten years ago, there was a LIRR panel at the Bellmore Library one evening, a big shot from the railroad in attendance. When I suggested that he step out the library door and listen to the noise of trains passing two blocks away, he said, "You will never get money for it."
 #1417497  by EuroStar

While I support sound barriers where necessary, I hope they do not agree to put sound barriers everywhere just to placate the NIMBYs. That would make the project way more expensive than necessary even though walls are in general cheap to build (compared to any of the other things they are going to do for that project). Put the sound walls where they are needed -- around switches, around curves, on certain structures and so on, but I really think that places where the rail is continuous without switches and curves don't really need them. The ambient noise, especially during the day is higher than the train noise.
 #1425176  by MACTRAXX

Everyone - Thoughts about the LIRR Third Track Project from the MTA:

http://www.mta.info/news/2017/03/22/lir ... k-can-help" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This can help resume discussion about the project after a two month winter hiatus...MACTRAXX
 #1436500  by Sir Ray

This thread has been rather quiet recently, even though things were happening.

From today's Newsday (30 June 2017)
It’s time for the Long Island Rail Road’s third-track project to — finally — get the go-ahead.
The last two mayors to maintain objections to the plan — Floral Park’s Dominick Longobardi and New Hyde Park’s Lawrence Montreuil — confirmed Friday that they’ve resolved all outstanding issues. They are signing memorandums of understanding with the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, after receiving additional concessions and improvements for their villages, and assurances regarding how construction will affect their communities. That means they’ll no longer stand in the way of the third track — a $1.95 billion infrastructure project critical to Long Island’s future.
 #1436523  by adamj023

The deadline is tonight. Hopefully the project goes through as it is desperately needed. I don't see how anyone can veto this considering emminent domain laws already in place.

The government has every right to seize property or make improvements in the rail right of way. The project benefits the masses and all displaced businesses should be appropriately compensated. The project isn't affecting much except for causing noise or some work by certain locations. But even if a larger land grab was required for transportation projects, they need to go through as appropriate.

This one needs to get done. I expect it should go through and the media seems to indicate that.
 #1436571  by adamj023

Apparently I was wrong and the third track project was going to be vetoed by Flanagan so MTA pulled the project.

His comments are essentially the MTA should fix the existing problems. In another 30 days the project may be cancelled altogether.

I am all for the plan under Lhota's leadership. I don't see what the issue is. Seems like a no brainer to complete and the planning and community work and discussions were already done. Not sure what else can be done in 30 days.

They keep dragging out a relatively simple project for years and adding yet more delays. Might as well just cancel it. If they even started it would take too long to complete.
 #1437587  by freightguy

Looks like it's a go. The two dissenting NYS senators agreed and are on board after extracting concessions of course. This will be some undertaking even compared to the double track project taking place. Vhastly needed and overdue project!
 #1437622  by adamj023

Flanagan approved it as per media reports. It is a done deal. Sorry I was late to the party. Looks like it was just delayed a little bit. Seems like it came shortly after I made my comment. My sny comment was just because sometimes MTA in the past has dragged out projects but hopefully this time it gets done.

Good news and I guess it was important he waited a little. With Joe Lhota in, I am sure it helped get Flanagan's approval. Not sure why the delay however. Guess some internal reasons?

Eliminating grade crossings and a third track is definitely helpful. I have used the Oyster Bay line from City Terminal Zone to Nassau county on the Main line. The car traffic has become unbareable when waiting for trains, along with safety and delay issues from crossing accidents plus the benefits from the added track.

Remember, areas on the main line are increasing in population with new construction by stations and higher population density as well.
 #1437648  by NIMBYkiller

I still say using the Central would have been better (2 tracks instead of 1 + an entirely new service area), but I'm glad to see the main line getting grade separated.
 #1437654  by freightguy

The one mistake I think the LIRR is making not turning to island platforms between the new track and former track one and two. Metro North added a few of those between Mount Vernon and Crestwood on the lower end of the Harlem line. Now if there is an issue on the one new platform track LIRR cannot use the middle or express track for station stops. I'm not sure if that's because of the width of the right-of-way. An island platform rest between two mainline tracks verse being on only one side exterior of one track. That's how the plans looked from what people posted.
 #1437701  by adamj023

The new project includes replacement of the old stairwell by Mineola station apparently as the current one doesn't have space for third track and is also in poor condition and is also not ADA compliant. Just one of many upgrades occuring along with this project.

Any idea when bids will be given out to contractors to start this project? Funding is in place, as well as all final approvals so the contractor bidding process should be going forward and then once bids are in, construction should follow.