Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#136606  by Frank

Do all trains go 80 mph? Or do some trains go faster than 80mph?

#136629  by Robert Paniagua

Some trains go around there, but I think some trains might actually do 89.9 mph, mainly in the Montauk Extension, not too sure about that, but when I rode that branch in April 1998, I esteimated the train speed in some spots to be 90 mph, especially when stations are far apart.

#136636  by davelirrider

I believe that the MAS on the LIRR is 80MPH and that's primarily done (as said) on the Montauk (Babylon) branch where the entire line is elevated. I've also seen trains take the express track between Jamaica and Harold at about 80MPH as well. Trains which cross at grade on most of the other lines average somewhere between 50-60MPH - sometimes slower. It all has to do with traffic on the line, delayed/stalled trains, etc.

#136648  by trackml2

Wher ever there is third rail trains can go 80. No 3rd rail 65.

Of course there are speed restrictions all throughout and different speeds for other types of equipment

#136649  by trackml2

one point to my last post. What I said is the general rule. BUT for instance MAS on say the FAR Rock Branch is 40 and that goes for other places.

#136681  by SK2MY

MAS or maximum authorized speed in electrified territory is 80 MPH. In diesel territory, MAS is 65 MPH. However, train speed is determined by track configuration. Depending on the area, MAS varies greatly.

As for the train's capability to travel faster than 80 MPH, they can. On the LIRR, ASC (automatic speed control) prevents a train from operating at a speed greater than 80 MPH. In non ASC territory, trains have overspeed protection which will prevent it from operating above the MAS. (sort of like a governor).

#136698  by Frank

Don't trains go 95 mph through New Hyde Park? I heard the M1s go 95 through there.

#136713  by NIMBYkiller

No. MAS is 80. That's it.

#136721  by Frank

NIMBYkiller wrote:No. MAS is 80. That's it.
But I heard one of the Subchatter's say that the M1s go 95 through New Hyde Park?

#136726  by IslesFan

Frank wrote:
But I heard one of the Subchatter's say that the M1s go 95 through New Hyde Park?
Who would you rather listen to, People who work for the RR, or people who don't know what they're talking about?

#136782  by Legio X

What's the MAS for freight trains? Does the weight and length of the train determine this, type of rolling stock in the consist, etc?

#136862  by LIengineerBob

MAS for freight trains on the LIRR is 45mph.

The MAS for trains through NHP is definatly not 95, it's 80 mph. The ASC will not let the train operate above that speed by very much (maybe 5mph tops before it engages and slows the train down).

#136921  by trackml2

Usually more like 2 mph lower then 80. M of E cannot seem to calibrate the cab signal indicator and the speedometers to save their lives

#137032  by Frank

IslesFan wrote:
Frank wrote:
Who would you rather listen to, People who work for the RR, or people who don't know what they're talking about?
I would perfer to listen to people who work for the RR.

#137131  by Long Island 7285

so the ASC kicks in at 78MPH instead of an enve 80MPH?

is there a zone above 80 that is not a penelty application.

IE 82 83 84 then at 85 ASC fully kicks in.