Railroad Forums 

Forum for the discussion of the Budd Company and Budd-Thyssen through bankruptcy. Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budd_Company

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#120957  by Lirr168

Looking at the pics more carefully, it looks like these cars had some kind of ventilation system on the roof of the car. If they did, it makes me wonder why they didn't just do that on the M-1's, it certainly would have made them far more reliable engines.
 #120972  by davelirrider

Actually, what looks like a ventilation system on the top of the car actually is where the Gas Turbine engines were. They took up a significant amount of the roofline and were located opposite of the motorman's cab.

#121019  by Nasadowsk

Hehehehe

Yep. Gas turbines really ARE that small.

The one on the stillborn JetTrain was like the size of those garbage cans you see out on the curb on trash day.

And 5000 HP.

Not much else packs that kind of power into such a tiny space....

I bet the generator 1/2 of those sets in the MTA cars was heavier and bigger...

#121254  by RRChef

I have some pictures of the turbines at Richmond Hill taken in the mid 80's in a cannibalized state. Anyone interested to see them let me know.

#121262  by Long Island 7285

lets see the pics

#121375  by Otto Vondrak

Clemuel- Can you dig out that roll sign and tell us all the destinations that were listed? I've heard everything from CHATHAM to STEWART AFB to PORT JERVIS to TRENTON. I'd like to know for sure...

-otto-
 #121402  by N340SG

Hey, I've got another totally useless tidbit for you guys. (Why are you not surprised?)
In HSF hallways, there are large posters citing various LIRR milestones. One of them depicts the introduction of the M-3 cars, with a photo of what's supposed to be an M-3 car. Makes perfect sense, no? Too bad the photo of the "M-3" is actually of a Garrett turbo car. The DOT logo attracted my attention immediately. Closer inspection gave up the truth. (You cannot discern the car number from the number board.)

Tom

#121612  by newkirk

"I've heard everything from CHATHAM to STEWART AFB to PORT JERVIS to TRENTON. I'd like to know for sure."

Otto,

The GT sign I have says Stewart Airport as well as JFK Airport. Also on the bill is Albany. I guess they had hign hopes that the train would make it up to Albany from GCT on one tank of fuel. That sign is in storage, I'll have to dig it out and post all the destinations. Trenton is not on the sign.

#210280  by vingong

I saw the cannibalized 4000-series GTs in Richmond Hill as well, around 1991. There were some burnt-out M1s as well, along with bar-gen 2101, and a battered MP54. Unfortunately, I didn't have a camera with me at the time. The cars disappeared shortly thereafter. :(
 #502830  by railfaned

After reading four books on the LIRR, the most recent being
Stan Fischer's Long Island Rail Road, I've discovered that the
LIRR turbine trains seems to be lost as far as LIRR history goes.
As a commuter out of Ronkonkoma in the 70's, I was used to
riding Ping-Pong's, P72's and P75's. In the mid-70's before the
decision was made to electrify to Ronkonkoma, I was treated to a
week of riding the US-DOT Turbine modified M-1's. As I
remember, there were two versions of four cars each. There
were two major differences between the versions. The first was
the placement of the turbines. On one version the turbine was
located where the luggage rack normally was at the end of each
car and on the other, there was a compartment that looked like a
restroom on the inside. The placement of the outside vents was
how to tell each version.
The second difference was the operation of the automatic
low-level steps. In one version, the trap door slid to the side with
a safety bar to move people used to standing by the door. this
exposed the steps. In the second type, they were like escalator
steps and went from a level position to a step positon.
My questions are as follows:
1- Which turbine type had which type of stairs?
2- Does anyone have any photos of the two versions?
3- Does anyone have any info on the earlier GT-1 Turbine?
4- Was fuel consumption the reason for project failure?

Thanks,

#502908  by LongIslandTool

If my memory is correct, the General Electric Turbines were most like the M-1's. They had the end of car turbine and the esclator-type stairs in the vestibules.

The Garretts had overhead turbines and sliding trap covers that would drop you to the roadbed if you stood in the vestibule when they opened.

They both sounded like jet planes. Rode them to Greenport at 3 AM one night and watched the lights go on in every house we passed by.

The kerosene fuel consumption was horrible, and they smelled and fogged up the entire town of Greenport.

The GE cars were converted to M-1 electrics in Hillside perhaps 15 years ago and sent to Metro North to operate with M-1's.

The Garretts were scrapped. It was said they would be too expensive to convert as many of their components were not compatable with the GE M-1's.

#502934  by railfaned

Hi LongIslandTool,
The GE M-1's definately had two versions. The Garret GT-1 turbine was a single car pre-MTA LIRR experiment. From the one photo that I've seen,
it looks like a Amtrak coach with orange ends with a window put in for the engineer and a round door in the middle. It has a sign on it that reads GT-1 Test Car.

#502955  by LongIslandTool

That thing with the orange ends was the first prototype, built by Garrett. It lived in a garage on the tail of the Ronkonkoma wye.

The M-1 type turbine-electrics that followed were two sets of cars built by two manufacturers. They both looked similar with the minor differences I mentioned above. There were four or eight cars from each builder -- GE and Garrett.

#502959  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: I remember those turbo MU mid 70s style cars myself.
The Garrett cars were numbered 4001-2-3-4 and the GE cars were 4005-6-7-8. LI Tool notes the car variations correctly I noticed. I remember that they were terrible on fuel-how big was the fuel tanks on them? I did not know that they ran on Kerosene either.

The single "TURBINE CAR" that ran on the LIRR was actually the same one-GT-1 and GT-2. In the first tests back around 1967 a Budd coach-prototype Silverliner-type car 5880 was used-first as GT-1 with orange ends and then as GT-2 around 1970-71 then with third rail shoes added with the notation "TURBO ELECTRIC" on the side with yellow front ends.

There is definitely a previous thread on both topics here in the LIRR section along with pics. MACTRAXX

#502980  by Nova55