Railroad Forums 

• MTA LIRR Double Track Project - Ronkonkoma to Farmingdale

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1364614  by MattAmity90

Head-end View wrote:Hmmm........MACTRAXX raises a good point. why does LIRR call it the Babylon Branch, but does not call the PJ the Huntington Branch?
I've always called them the Port Jefferson/Huntington, Montauk/Babylon, and the Greenport/Ronkonkoma Branches.
 #1364638  by Jeff Smith

I don't know enough LIRR history to really speak with any type of authority, but I'd disagree on Greenport. It's not really a "branch", but the main line, even if most of the trains terminate at Ronk at the end of the electric zone/yard. As more of an MNRR "fan", my biggest pet peeve is people referring to the Wassaic service on the Upper Harlem as a "branch". It was once a through, main-line for the NYCRR going all the way to the B&A at Chatham. And it's similar service; end of electrification and a yard, with shuttle service. Even MNRR PR/Social Media will call it a branch. Grrrr! :wink:

I get the logic; there's generally a transfer to diesel equipment required (unless you want to use this: M1 Turbo!

I prefer to use the term "extension". Just seems more accurate.
 #1364709  by Engine 277

Worked the Turbines on a few occasions. They were made to work at high or low platforms. They had a vestibule that opened up for low platforms and exposed steps. Its been 3 decades, but I think the biggest problem with them is they were loaded with jet fuel to provide power for the turbines, which were basically jet engines. The NYFD had real issues with a train loaded with jet fuel, also equipped with 3rd rail shoes, entering the east river tunnels. They were also very loud in turbine mode, sounded like a jet plane. They ran well enough, but they were a nightmare to maintain. Only Place I worked them was on the oyster bay branch a few times. Would have been interesting if they ever hit a truck at a crossing. The resulting fireball if the fuel tanks were ruptured would have been like a plane crash. On a side note, Im really amazed the NYFD allowed the dual modes through the east river tunnels. Imagine if one of them derailed, and the live third rail ruptured the fuel tanks. Ouch. Not so far fetched, look at the huntington wreck, the power pack was impailed on the third rail. The more recent metro north accident, where the live third rail entered the coach and killed several passengers.
The RR has been incredibly lucky as far as east river tunnel fires go. Some employees are very uncomfortable when their family takes a train to Penn. I remember one supervisor that would not let his family take a train to Penn unless he was with them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_turbine_train" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1364791  by MattAmity90

Anyways, getting back to the double-tracking project as the subject, the last time I checked the Pond Road crossing finally had the second track put into so now it is a 2 track crossing so that's done. One piece of track from August is still there in between the two crossings, no track work has been done to Ocean Avenue, and they still have to add more soil to raise the ground for the second track in one section. The layout with second track should look be embankment on the South side, flat for two tracks, followed by a 90 degree angle with retaining wall and safety fence at the edge. Also the St. Peter's Lane crossing is now a two track grade crossing, areas have been flattened out all the way to just past the Islip Avenue/Rt. 111 crossing.
 #1384274  by bellstbarn

ImageMain Line 2nd Track by sphoto33, on Flickr

ImageLIRR Main Line by sphoto33, on Flickr

In the above photo, the Town of Islip is to the right, the Town of Brookhaven is to the left. The town line makes a right angle here. Maybe I am standing on the Brookhaven corner, as the other three corners appear to be in the Town of Islip.

ImageLIRR Mail Line by sphoto33, on Flickr

I did not photograph the lack of a second track across Ocean Avenue because that busy intersection had numerous surveyors and other works preparing the site.
 #1384362  by MACTRAXX

BSB:

Thanks for the update and pictures of the Ronkonkoma Branch ROW in Ronkonkoma and Central Islip.

Did you bring your Hagstrom's Atlas of Suffolk County with you on this trip today?

When I explore places in this manner it comes in very handy - for example you were standing on the NE corner of
the Pond Road grade crossing which is exactly where the Islip-Brookhaven Town boundary changes direction. This
boundary goes south from the Lake itself on Pond Road then goes east from that crossing on the LIRR ROW to
Waverly Avenue (the location of the closed Holtsville Station) and then goes south to divide Bayport and Blue
Point respectively and into the Great South Bay. I looked at a copy I have to refer to your pictures.

I recall the mention that Hagstrom's Suffolk County Atlas was one of their top selling products and even with any
advanced technology referring to their maps for local information definitely helps any navigation of this type.

The footbridge at Milepost 47 was built to access schools on both sides of the tracks at that point - the marker
itself is visible next to the stairs in the picture looking east. What I find interesting is the almost park-like trail on
the north side paralleling the roadbed for the to-be-laid second track there. This makes me wonder how far west
that this widened area goes - at Milepost 46 there is a square pedestrian underpass culvert into Lakeland County
Park from the west end of Easton Street - that ends at a circle. From Mile 46 to 45 (at the Veterans Highway/NYS
454 overpass) Connetquot River State Park is south of the LIRR track(s) with some of an undeveloped area north
and west of Lakeland Park along that mile of track.

The stretch of ROW between Carleton Avenue in Central Islip (the west end of the CI siding track) to the east end
of the double track segment from Brentwood looks like it is coming along in a similar manner and awaits track or
other installation. This is about a two and a half mile segment from Brentwood to Central Islip.

The 2016 work season may be a big one for this Project...MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Wed May 11, 2016 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.