Railroad Forums 

• Lower Montauk Division Discussion

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#415173  by Ocala Mike

Train No. 507 goes back at least as far as summer, 1960 (probably a lot longer). It's listed in my 6/19/60 Form LI-1 along with No. 521 as the only two trains to LIC W/B (both OB branch trains).

The only trains E/B were Nos. 552 and 554, also O/B branch trains; no train No. 560 listed at all.
 #415191  by henry6

Both my 1949 and 1950 tables show these trains; same schedule as today!
 #579732  by Frank

I'm thinking of riding the Lower Montauk this Friday and I was wondering which train goes to Long Island City via Lower Montauk in the morning?

#579895  by henry6

=
 #580245  by BMC

As of three years ago when I retired as the Long Island City Yardmaster the lower Montauk had two passenger revenue trains.

One in the morning is indeed Train 507 from Oyster Bay and in the evening it was Train 560 which leaves out of the yard platform tracks.

During the day we would use the lower Montauk for drill moves back and forth to Richmond Hill and Morris Park. Also, in both the AM and PM the lower Montauk is utilized for equipment trains to and from Richmond Hill or off the road.
 #580298  by Frank

Thanks, I'll try to take the 8:11 out of Jamaica. I went to LIC once but the train went via Hunterspoint Ave station. Is there anything interesting to see on the Lower Montauk?
 #580321  by RPM2Night

Going through Forest Park is great, it's really beautiful, and when I went through the 1st time I was shocked. I didn't know it was there. I always took the mainline from Jamaica to NYC and was used to seeing the area all developed. Wooded areas so close to the city suprised me. Also, going past Freshpond is pretty cool. In some way's it's almost suprising to see how many cars are in the yard if you compare that with how short most of the NYAR freights you see going east.
 #580612  by R36 Combine Coach

Also the Montauk branch passes through the NYA's Fresh Pond Yard and the former elevated Richmond Hill station.
 #580640  by joetrain59

I miss riding as a monthly commuter, from 1988-92. It was cool. Real railroading. Great crews, got a few cab rides, and even had a switch engine drop me at FP, as I missed the 5:22 from LIC. Despite how industrial it was West of Flushing Ave, I would ocassionaly see pheasants along side the tracks! Did they tear down the Phelps-Dodge mess?
Joe