Railroad Forums 

• World's Fair 1964 - ID this item!?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1555227  by RGlueck

Really a guess, but probably a three dimensional item to simply take up space and advertise the LIRR at the Fair. It's printed in a modern fashion, it's a stand-alone item. Might have had a display of handouts or scheduled events surrounding the base. Simply an attention getter.
 #1555229  by nyandw

RGlueck wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:17 pm Really a guess, but probably a three dimensional item to simply take up space and advertise the LIRR at the Fair. It's printed in a modern fashion, it's a stand-alone item. Might have had a display of handouts or scheduled events surrounding the base. Simply an ention getter.
I was thinking about the same. A quick way to set up a "stand" to hold brochures, etc, perhaps? Anyone seen these in any photos?
 #1555288  by ExCon90

I'm puzzled by what's in the background -- it looks like somebody's kitchen. I also wonder where it might have been placed -- if on the fairgrounds it would be seen by people who already got there. And being made of cardboard it was surely not intended to last through the life of the fair.

Fwiw I lived in Flushing during both years and never saw one.
 #1555339  by ExCon90

nyandw wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:46 pm
ExCon90 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:19 pmI'm puzzled by what's in the background -- it looks like somebody's kitchen
Yes, taken recently in a kitchen, so?
I thought you were working from a photo -- didn't realize you had the actual object. I'm still wondering where it was intended to be displayed and last more than a week or so, let alone through an entire season.
 #1555345  by nyandw

I thought you were working from a photo -- didn't realize you had the actual object. I'm still wondering where it was intended to be displayed and last more than a week or so, let alone through an entire season.[/quote]

The photo is current and belongs to the owner of this item... Geez, am I on Facebook? Let's get back to the original post? What is it?
 #1555466  by nyandw

I thought you were working from a photo -- didn't realize you had the actual object. I'm still wondering where it was intended to be displayed and last more than a week or so, let alone through an entire season. [/quote]

Yes, sure appears as it would be a temporary item. Perhaps just a shipping cartoon with materials inside for the Fair.
 #1555859  by Kelly&Kelly

There were several sold on ebay that were described as seats. Maybe they guessed, but it made sense to me. Remember that people were lighter in 1964, especially the ladies for whom the seat was offered. :grinning: