Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1554353  by MACTRAXX

newkirk wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:29 am
ajp wrote: Wasn't there a FA cab at the 1964 Worlds Fair LIRR exhibit?
Yes, the same FA cab seen here at Tanglewood Preserve.

(October 1980) Photo: Bill Mangahas

BM: This cab is now at OBRM am I right?
I always found this NYWF FA1 cab from the LIRR Pavilion (note the side-facing number boards)
interesting - and prophetic at the same time. This cab predated the FA power unit conversions
by seven years: 1964/65 NYWF; The FA power unit acquisitions and conversions began in 1971.
Hard to believe the Tanglewood Preserve photo is 40 years ago (!!!)
MACTRAXX
 #1554360  by newkirk

Mactraxx wrote: This cab is now at OBRM am I right?
It should be after it was moved from Tanglewood Preserve.
 #1554364  by RGlueck

The ALCO FA2's and FA1's were such a popular car body design, and with the save (?) of the last four ALCO PA's by the D&H, LIRR fans couldn't believe their good fortune. Consequently, the power cars were photographed like nothing else in the modern age. There's a terrific variety of images, and hopefully, plenty more with haven't yet been scanned.
Had the LIRR not been an all ALCO RR at the time, had the P54's and MP54's not been retired en-mass, these last representatives of the design would have been shunted off to PNC or GE for scrap and that would have been that! In spite of the service modifications they underwent, extinction was averted by the LIRR and then by Bobb Losse and colleagues.
 #1554381  by newkirk

RGlueck wrote: The ALCO FA2's and FA1's were such a popular car body design, and with the save (?) of the last four ALCO PA's by the D&H, LIRR fans couldn't believe their good fortune. Consequently, the power cars were photographed like nothing else in the modern age. There's a terrific variety of images, and hopefully, plenty more with haven't yet been scanned.
Had the LIRR not been an all ALCO RR at the time, had the P54's and MP54's not been retired en-mass, these last representatives of the design would have been shunted off to PNC or GE for scrap and that would have been that! In spite of the service modifications they underwent, extinction was averted by the LIRR and then by Bobb Losse and colleagues.
TRUTH !!
 #1554384  by newkirk

Danbury Railroad Museum
Photo: Bill Mangahas (June 23, 2018)

#1554448  by nyandw

newkirk wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:40 amNorristown, PA (Oct 26, 1988) Photos: Bill Mangahas
As Bill posted a while back: #596 is ex-Long Island #603. It has been moved to the Delaware-Lackawanna shop in Scranton. Ex-L&N #315 How did #596 come about? Thank you.
 #1554618  by planespotting

The New York & Greenwood Lake is done. Operation Toy Train to take possession of most of the equipment, and the rest sold to interested parties or used for a potential museum in Port Jervis. Here is video of an epic move of the ex-LIRR FA-1 7375 and other equipment to NYSW PC Yard in Saddle Brook. Thanks to GenesisSanctuary for the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXGBRJbORdY
 #1554707  by jhdeasy

I also noted a former LIRR P72 coach (29??) included in that special equipment move.

Looks like the M&E Railway was the angel that made this rescue of semi-derelict equipment possible.
 #1554738  by RGlueck

M&E is partly the savior, the other is Rudy Garbely, of Garbely Publications. Rudy is head of the Port Jervis Museum as well as The Toy Train. He has also served on the Board of the Conrail Historical Society and New England Steam Corporation. Credit where due.
 #1554807  by newkirk

jhdeasy wrote: I also noted a former LIRR P72 coach (29??) included in that special equipment move.
#2939, don't know the LIRR number on the FA powerpack.
 #1554921  by newkirk

Thanks planespotting.
More pix on #616................ All photos- Bill Mangahas
1) Port Jefferson - July 1986

2) Farmingdale - Feb. 1985
3) (Left to right) #617, #613 & #616
 #1554931  by RGlueck

602 ran under her own power yesterday. She's the only functional ALCO FA2 in the world. Sweet.
 #1554969  by trainspot

Was at SMS yesterday for the second start up & move. She sounded a little rough at first, but got better as she warmed up. Don Colangelo from Delaware Lackawanna (the Alco Doc.!) was there for making adjustments. Here's the video I took:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcYsz1epbPA&t=11s

600, 601, 602, 603, 604,610,618 were sold with their 244 engines, the others had Detroit Diesel gen-sets.
 #1554980  by trainspot

A sad note, I heard the 600 was badly vandalized, and may end up being scrapped. The only NY Central unit of the bunch.