Railroad Forums 

• LIRR Switch/Signal Indications

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1544842  by hxa

Head-end View wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:07 pm UN Block, that is sad news. do you have this info from reliable sources?
Both LIRR expansion and Babylon to Patchogue resignalling will make use of RAS's.
From https://www.amodernli.com/wp-content/up ... dacted.pdf:
3.19.9 System Overview
C. The Design-Builder shall design a bi-directional signal system (Rule 261/410) with ACSES
that maximizes throughput. Track and Signal Routing plans (TSR) including signal
aspects, Automatic Speed Command (ASC) Codes, and equated distances based on the
latest LlRR Signal braking criteria. The design shall include the newly adapted Reduced
Aspect Signaling (RAS)
From https://new.mta.info/document/17511:
The Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) requests MTA Board approval to award a Public Works contract to Hitachi
Rail STS, USA Inc. (formerly Ansaldo STS USA, Inc.) in the amount of $27,120,264 ($26,319,065 (Base) +
$801,199 (5 Optional 1-Year Hardware Warranties)) to design, furnish and deliver an upgraded signal system
for LIRR’s Babylon to Patchogue segment of the LIRR Montauk Branch.
Following evaluations, the TEC held multiple discussions with Hitachi to discuss technical clarifications and to
confirm Hitachi’s overall understanding of the project. Following the discussions, LIRR made clarifying
modifications to the scope of work consisting of changes to the PTC Integration, Fire Suppression,
Interlockings and Reduced Aspect Signal requirements. Overall Hitachi demonstrated a thorough and
comprehensive understanding of the project and adequately responded to all of LIRR’s questions.
 #1544862  by Head-end View

Thanks for posting that hxa, though it is really disheartening news. I was looking forward to seeing sharp looking new signal bridges and full-size color-light signals like around Woodside, Wantagh and Amityville.

Well, there's always the possibility that the LIRR could come its senses and change the plan before it actually gets done. Wouldn't be the first time things changed in mid-stream on a big project.
 #1544878  by Backshophoss

RAS signals might become the norm,existing at control points and the few remaining towers.
Figure on most of the wayside signals between them retired with ACSES and ASC in place.
 #1544915  by Head-end View

If they're installing RAS signals from Floral Park to Hicksville, I wonder if they will convert the Mainline from Hicksville to Farmingdale at the same time or soon after. Much as I hate them (and I'm told the train crews hate them too) it would be good to standardize on one type of signaling from Floral Park all the way to Ronkonkoma. A lot better than switching back and forth along the route.
 #1544923  by nyandw

Teutobergerwald wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:40 pm What line does the signal in the above photo control? Cool picture!
Photo is view NE on the Montauk Cut-off (between Skillman Ave. and 49th Ave.) towards the Citywide Storage Bldg. on Parsons Street north of the yard tracks. I'll concur as to a nice shot!