Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1544534  by nyandw

Here we are mid-March 1964 at the Morris Park Shops possibly waiting for a new repaint into the World's Fair scheme scheduled to open only weeks away on April 22. Can anyone shed some light on the green banner(?) on the units nose?
 #1544538  by dieciduej

Zooming in on the area I noticed two tags hanging from the handrail. To me they look like service tags i.e. hold the unit for servicing or hold for investigation. As for the green green banner they also look like service tags taped around the door frame. Also noted that the door itself looks bowed. So my guess just a bunch of repair notes used to identify a problem.
 #1544552  by Cannon Ball

Looks to me like a busted/leaking LH radiator or failed water pump. There's what looks like coolant residue which has dribbled out the bottom flange of the radiator opening and onto the catwalk, then down the side of the frame adjacent to the radiator and 2 stantions rearward, as the coolant probably got blown rearward by the breeze as the unit sailed onward. Dribble from the 2nd stantion shows up on the truck sideframe and equalizer. Only a guess, but that's where I'd start looking!

The green sheets may be homemade water shields, so rain doesn't get behind the top of the door and wash more crud down the walkway and frame, making it harder for the guys in the shop to clean up. The road crew may have hung them to try to reduce the slipperiness which the fireman/conductor would encounter getting on or off the unit in service, if it was raining that day. The 2 yellow notes or towels taped to the front rail I bet are the service flags with some description of what somebody thinks is wrong. Again, only guesses, but fun to play "Clue" with this!
 #1544705  by nyandw

Cannon Ball wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:19 am Looks to me like a busted/leaking LH radiator or failed water pump. There's what looks like coolant residue which has dribbled out the bottom flange of the radiator opening and onto the catwalk, then down the side of the frame adjacent to the radiator and 2 stantions rearward, as the coolant probably got blown rearward by the breeze as the unit sailed onward. Dribble from the 2nd stantion shows up on the truck sideframe and equalizer. Only a guess, but that's where I'd start looking! The green sheets may be homemade water shields, so rain doesn't get behind the top of the door and wash more crud down the walkway and frame, making it harder for the guys in the shop to clean up. The road crew may have hung them to try to reduce the slipperiness which the fireman/conductor would encounter getting on or off the unit in service, if it was raining that day. The 2 yellow notes or towels taped to the front rail I bet are the service flags with some description of what somebody thinks is wrong. Again, only guesses, but fun to play "Clue" with this!
Hmm... Interesting, folks! I'll have to go with service tags (as paper towels wouldn't be clipped or hang this way). Anyone with a service tag scan?