Railroad Forums 

• LIRR Switch/Signal Indications

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#956475  by nyandw

Teutobergerwald wrote:What line does the signal in the above photo control? Cool picture!
Here's another view from this spot telephoto: Image

Signals just south of Skillman Ave. at the Montauk Cutoff turnout views N. toward City Storage Bldg.
http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/licity/licmap2v3.jpg map

Question: Best place to get PL pictures these days, if any? Does Sunnyside still have PL's? Thank you.
 #957082  by Teutobergerwald

So that signal in the picture controls the southern leg of the Cut-off, that has been out of service for a while? I guess the signal is out of service as well? Thanks.
 #1179861  by Head-end View

Today I was lucky enough to get a front-window view on a westbound. Going thru Harold just before the Line-4 tunnel portal I saw a signal aspect I have not seen before. A position-light signal that showed a flashing "approach". Would this be an "advance-approach" as I have seen flashing yellow over red signals in the tunnel on other occasions. We were following another train today which I saw way ahead of us as we approached Penn Station. First time in many months I got a front-window ride on LIRR. Lucky day.
 #1179924  by Head-end View

Thanks. I don't think I'd ever seen an "advance-approach" used on LIRR outside the Penn Sta. tunnels or on a position-light signal.
 #1179985  by NYR99

Correct, it is only used in Zone A (Amtrak) territory.
 #1315081  by nyandw

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/signal ... istory.htm LIRR Signal History
LIRR H16-44 #1501 westbound train east of Smithtown. One of the last semaphore signals standing Summer 1962 Archive: Art Huneke

Signals were located between MP 48-49, just west of the 25A bridge. The semaphore signal was a DS & SI*, located on the north side of the tracks and new in 1937. The shorter DSWI**, south of the tracks, was new in 1950. According to an Emery note penciled in at a later date, the semaphore signal was removed on 9/18/63. *Distant Switch and Signal Indicator. **DSWI is Distant Switch Indicator

Can the following be clarified as correct or?

Distant switch indicators (DSWI) let the engineer know that there's a switch approaching and whether it's set with him or against him, so he can prepare to stop if need be.

Distant signal indicators (DSI) let the engineer know that there's a signal ahead.

Distant switch and signal indicators (DS & SI) would let the engineer know that there's both a signal approaching and a switch.
 #1315168  by docsteve

Not sure if this is what you're asking or not, but the DS and SI signals are PRR distant signals, used in manual territory approaching a home signal or a switch. The basic approach aspects were Rule 285, "Approach," and Rule 285A, "Caution." The PRR (and the LI) enhanced the manual block rules by wiring the signal into a track circuit, so if the section of track ahead of the signal were occupied it would display Caution, while if the track were not occupied it would display Approach (on the PRR, if the home signal were at something like Medium Clear the distant might display Rule 282, "Approach Medium" [although I do know of anywhere on LI where that third aspact was implemented]). The western approach to Speonk was one of these 285/285A heads: from the rear platform on a westbound you would see it flip from 285A to 285.

S
 #1315274  by ExCon90

Under PRR rules, a distant semaphore had a fishtail blade displaying green when vertical and yellow when diagonal, with no horizontal position; the two indications possible were Rule 281 (Clear), displayed when the block signal ahead was clear, and 285A (Caution), when the block signal was at Stop. The marker light to the right of the mast (left as seen in the photo) was yellow, corresponding to the fishtail blade. In automatic block territory, an automatic signal had a pointed blade, and a red marker to the left of the mast; Rule 285 could not be displayed by a signal with a fishtail blade. As position-light signals were introduced, track circuits might be provided, and in that case the signal could also display Rule 285 if the track circuit was unoccupied and the block signal was at Stop. Among the night aspects for Rule 281 were G/R (staggered) in automatic block territory, and G/Y (vertical) in manual block territory. It was the practice in manual block territory to provide a distant switch signal at braking distance from every facing-point switch, with Rule 281 indicating that the switch was lined and locked normal, and 285A that the switch was not lined and locked normal. Several switches at one location would be connected with the same signal, which would only display Rule 281 when all switches were lined and locked normal. (If that system had been in effect at Graniteville, SC that collision wouldn't have happened.)
 #1544188  by RestrictOnTheHanger

Jeff Smith wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:55 am Thought I'd throw this interesting blog up here: https://position-light.blogspot.com/201 ... gnals.html
Still wondering what the rationale was behind designing a proprietary system. Does it cost less to install and maintain RAS as opposed to standard color light/position light signal systems?
 #1544287  by Head-end View

I'm eagerly waiting to see which type of signaling LIRR uses on the rebuilt 10 mile stretch from Floral Park to Hicksville. I seriously hope they use the same color-light signals used at Woodside, Wantagh, Amityville, etc. and not those ridiculous Reduced Aspect Signals.
 #1544348  by RestrictOnTheHanger

It would be even nicer if position lights were kept or used as replacements, but that is probably a pipe dream.

I seem to recall that SEPTA installed LED versions during some recent upgrades somewhere?
 #1544371  by Head-end View

With apologies for being off-topic, SEPTA did install LED upgrades of Pennsy type pedestal signals in rectangular cabinets in and near the Center-City Tunnel between 30th St. Station and Suburban Station on the former Pennsy side of the system. I'm not aware of any similar upgrades anywhere else on SEPTA.