Railroad Forums 

• LIRR Mainline Third Track Project

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1543740  by railfaned

What amazes me is how do they move this entire Precast NHP under pass into position? I've seen the video of the Post Ave Bridge move, But NHP tunnel move seems to be more of a challenge. I hope there will be a video of this one.
 #1543767  by MattAmity90

They will be able to move the span into place using an innovative technique from Italy. It's called "box-jacking." What they will do is use pressurized pushing jacks that can move something in the weight of several tons in one set. They will have to reset it after every push, but the amount that is being applied to the box-tunnel is more than the weight of the structure. In all, when they push it into place in July, they will only have to push it around 30 times to move it 50+ feet from on-site to the tracks. Covert Avenue and Urban Avenue saw the same method applied to their eliminations.
 #1544986  by MattAmity90

North side of New Hyde Park Road has been fully sloped and paved! On the South side, the box jacks are on site, the span is fastened to the top of the walls and pillar. It's amazing that the crossing was decommissioned/road closed in the first 10 days of February, and just four months later we are at this stage of the project, then one month from now the span will be pushed into place with the road scheduled to open in September. My bet is around Labor Day Weekend.
New Hyde Park Rd. looking South. Edward Hand.
New Hyde Park Rd. looking South. Edward Hand.
49982289358_8230c4f2ba_c.jpg (183.41 KiB) Viewed 3841 times
 #1545031  by newkirk

This scene will change when the third track at Mineola is built.
Attachments:
Winthrop University hospital garage roof top
Winthrop University hospital garage roof top
Feb 1982 (2).JPG (1.03 MiB) Viewed 3800 times
 #1545061  by MattAmity90

Yeah :( especially to someone who doesn't like change yet loves construction projects. Just one month later though just off in the distance and out of frame, the worst grade crossing accident would occur at Herricks Road. The crossing was located just to the West of the original NASSAU Interlocking. Before 1970 it wasn't as bad because electrics went slowly across that area since they terminated at Mineola/East Williston before being extended to Hicksville and Huntington. What else is different is that they skewed the tracks a bit further to the North when they eliminated the crossing due to the temporary tracks laid to the South.
 #1545573  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

The first bridge replacement project of 2020 - Glen Cove Road (between Mineola and
Carle Place) is scheduled for the weekend of June 27-28.

The LIRR special schedules should be released in the coming days. Expect Ronkonkoma
and Port Jefferson service to terminate at Hicksville with Central Branch shuttles serving
Hicksville-Bethpage-Babylon along with enhanced Babylon/Montauk Branch services.

MACTRAXX
 #1545892  by MACTRAXX

Everyone - The Glen Cove Road Bridge Replacement Project information is now posted:
http://web.mta.info/supplemental/lirr/g ... roject.htm
Saturday-Sunday June 27-28 - NO train service between Mineola and Hicksville; LIRR
tickets are cross-honored by NICE Bus (routes N22, N24) between Mineola, Carle Place,
Westbury and Hicksville. Train service is outlined in my last post...MACTRAXX
 #1546403  by Jeff Smith

A little bit of controversy: Newsday.com
MTA Third Track, East Side Access projects still running on schedule
But since that hold mostly affects new projects that haven’t been started, work on two massive efforts that Long Island is counting on — the East Side Access connection to Grand Central Terminal and the third-track expansion on the Long Island Rail Road’s Main Line — is ongoing, MTA officials said Wednesday.

“East Side Access [and] third track are going forward on schedule, and with all our projects, we’re looking for opportunities to accelerate,” Chief Development Officer Janno Lieber said Wednesday.
Lieber also addressed the controversy percolating in Garden City, where residents have objected to the installation of large utility poles on the south side of the LIRR tracks. Hempstead Town Supervisor Don Clavin threatened litigation over the poles.

Lieber noted that every aspect of the third-track project went through extensive environmental review and hundreds of meetings with village, town and community representatives. The poles, he said, are in the MTA’s right of way, designed for resilience, and have been used elsewhere.
MTA officials told The Point Wednesday that Garden City and town officials were aware that large utility poles would be installed, and that the MTA chose the particular spots based on where they had the most right-of-way space, since they had committed to avoiding taking private land. They also noted that part of the reason for choosing the locations of the poles was because the village itself wanted the sound wall to be as close to the track as possible. As a result, the poles were placed in front of the wall, facing the street, rather than behind it, closer to the track.

The MTA officials also have promised the village additional landscaping, including trees and shrubs, along the third track’s path, officials told The Point.
 #1546405  by MattAmity90

I don't see what the big deal is with the steel poles, because they won't be using many since the wires will be higher. If this is such a nuisance then why haven't people in Hicksville, Syosset, Cold Spring Harbor, Huntington, and Greenlawn complained when they electrified from Mineola to Hicksville and Huntington in 1970? Yes, when the Port Jefferson Branch curves in between Syosset and Cold Spring Harbor it slices its way through heavily forested areas but still. They'll take up less space, decrease the chances of a pole being knocked down by heavy winds either from severe weather or tropical systems, and with the ground wire they can protect houses by being proverbial lightning rods.

I'm shocked that communities along the Babylon Branch haven't filed complaints.

Also the steel poles, in slang terms I dub them "Erector Set Poles" since they bear a resemblance to model poles on train sets.
 #1546440  by Head-end View

Earlier this week I drove down that street in Garden City next to the LIRR to see those poles for myself. And I for one, do not see what the problem is. I think it's just these stupid incorporated villages who have nothing else to do except stir up issues where there aren't any. Their simple philosophy is to just oppose everything whether it makes sense or not.
 #1546493  by Pensyfan19

Head-end View wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:41 pm Earlier this week I drove down that street in Garden City next to the LIRR to see those poles for myself. And I for one, do not see what the problem is. I think it's just these stupid incorporated villages who have nothing else to do except stir up issues where there aren't any. Their simple philosophy is to just oppose everything whether it makes sense or not.
And that my good friend, is the main purpose of NIMBYS. I remember one time that residents in Farmingdale were making a complaint on News12 Long Island about a work train being parked outside their houses for a week or two. The LIRR's complaint was that the tracks were there WAY before the houses were built. That's kind of like someone buying a house next to a volcano and complaining that it's too disturbing to live there when it erupts. Another thing about News12 and other media news sources is that they seem to be anti-rail as they have commercials for Atlantic Hyundai's new 0% down deals, thus promoting car culture over rail transport (even though they fail to realize that most of their viewers still rely on rail transport, in this case the LIRR, to go to work and it is more beneficial to the environment to take the train over the car.)

On the topic of the third track, construction is making progress as the stations along the mainline continue to develop, especially for New Hyde Park and Carle Place.
 #1546583  by RestrictOnTheHanger

Pensyfan19 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:38 am Another thing about News12 and other media news sources is that they seem to be anti-rail as they have commercials for Atlantic Hyundai's new 0% down deals, thus promoting car culture over rail transport (even though they fail to realize that most of their viewers still rely on rail transport, in this case the LIRR, to go to work and it is more beneficial to the environment to take the train over the car.)
I wouldnt say News12 playing those commercials inherently makes them anti-rail, car commercials are on almost every channel and even online.

Turning to the bridge replacement this weekend, some pics on twitter

https://twitter.com/AModernLI/status/12 ... 81664?s=19