Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1052041  by TB Diamond

On the former Rock Island out of Chicago, weekend service:

I notice per the published schedule that there are more trains on Saturday than on Sunday. On which of these days do the trains have less cars?

Years ago (mid-1970s) the weekend trains would have but two to three cars but I have never observed the present day weekend consists.

Thank you, in advance, for any information.
 #1052184  by larry84988

Sundays typically have shorter consists, unless there is a Chicago White Sox game going on, then they will use a longer extra consist as well as the regular scheduled trains. The typical train length is 6-7 cars, with Sox specials going up to 10 cars as needed.
 #1052433  by metraRI

TB Diamond wrote:On the former Rock Island out of Chicago, weekend service:

I notice per the published schedule that there are more trains on Saturday than on Sunday. On which of these days do the trains have less cars?

Years ago (mid-1970s) the weekend trains would have but two to three cars but I have never observed the present day weekend consists.

Thank you, in advance, for any information.
ALL consists that are cut for mid-day/weekend service on RI are 6 cars in length. In fact, every consist out of Joliet is set up to be cut at 6 cars even if it is not cut on a regular basis. Consists out of Blue Island always run at full length.

If ridership is expected to be higher on mid-days/weekends, full consists will run, which range between 8 to 10 cars out of Joliet.