Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1122259  by Tadman

Byte, there's actually a few sets out there on the red line now. I have weekly meetings in Skokie, and if I miss the express service, I have to ride the red line up to Howard. I've got 5000's a few times now.
 #1147044  by Pacific 2-3-1

More LED's than just the signs:

All of the now "obsolete" fluorescent tube interior lighting will be changed/retrofitted to the longer-lasting LED lights on all the Bombardier 5000's now in production, or that have already delivered.

The reasoning is that the fluorescents only last two years and become yellow and dimmer toward the end, and also that they contain hazardous material and this has to be taken into account when they are replaced. Also, the LED lighting produces a brighter image for the security cameras.

Another 8 more cars have been added to the production run (some accountant must have done some figuring).
 #1147095  by byte

Watch for car 3295, on the brown line - it has LED interior lighting (the whole assembly of which just snaps into the existing fluorescent bulb socket). That car was the test bed and it has a distinctly different look to it.
 #1147727  by tytrain

byte wrote:Watch for car 3295, on the brown line - it has LED interior lighting (the whole assembly of which just snaps into the existing fluorescent bulb socket). That car was the test bed and it has a distinctly different look to it.
I rode that car earlier this week! I wondered why it was different, and so bright inside (I did like it).
 #1148070  by Pacific 2-3-1

CHICAGO PCC L CARS were illuminated with incandescent light fixtures that I would guess were identical to those used on the GREEN HORNET STREETCARS (or maybe recycled from them).

But I remember seeing one or two outfitted with fluorescent lights, which was probably a test.
 #1148440  by F40CFan

I remember that too. I believe it was one of the higher numbered cars (67xx).

They also had better seating than the 5000s (that should get it back on topic).
 #1174139  by jstolberg

F40CFan wrote:I remember that too. I believe it was one of the higher numbered cars (67xx).

They also had better seating than the 5000s (that should get it back on topic).
The CTA is asking for rider opinion on rail car seating arrangements as it gathers information before selecting a manufacturer for the upcoming 7000-series cars.
In a survey e-mailed to some CTA riders this week, the agency asks riders to weigh in on whether they prefer the aisle-facing seats on the new 5000-series rail cars to the standard seating on the older rail cars on the Brown and Blue lines.
http://www.redeyechicago.com/news/cta/r ... 9417.story

Also, when standing, do you prefer straps or seatback handles? And cloth seats or plastic?
 #1174220  by Tadman

I've had a recent observation - recall the bulkheads on the 2600's and 3200's at the doors. They are perpendicular to the walls right at the edges of the doorways. Passengers "wall sit" on these bulkheads, thus blocking/narrowing the doorways. I'd suggest the bulkheads be mounted 12" inboard of the doorways, so that "wall sit" passengers are back from the doors. The new 5000's have wider doors but they're useless if the wall sit passengers are there still.