Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1065432  by Tadman

Reminds me that I'd like to get my mitts on a 2200 or 2400 rollsign before the cars get carted off to the skokie shops in the sky...
 #1065514  by doepack

Good idea. And If you get one before I do, I'll hunt you down like a dog...
 #1065584  by Fan Railer

So what car number are we up to now? I rode on a set with 5117 and its pair the other day (friday, 20th)
 #1065631  by ryanbytes

A couple days ago I rode out to the end of the Pink line to catch a train with the new signs. After a while and a couple questions from a confused CTA person I got one. They are VERY bright. Does anyone know if they dim at night?
Attachments:
7605796204_c11c4416fc_z.jpg
7605796204_c11c4416fc_z.jpg (204.27 KiB) Viewed 2760 times
 #1072639  by Metra210

I recently saw 5000 series cars on the Green Line, on their way to 63rd/Cottage Grove. It would be nice to see these cars on the Red Line, and especially on the Blue Line, because their extra space will accommodate travelers to and from O'Hare. If the CTA's plan for the cars is to keep them on the elevated lines before using them on the lines that go underground, then why not use them on the Orange Line? Travelers to and from Midway would benefit from the extra space, and so would OL passengers not heading to the airport who have to squeeze through the narrow opening in between an over-sized luggage case, and an aisle-facing seat across from it. I experienced those problems pretty often when I frequently rode the Orange Line in '07-'08. Introducing 5000 series cars to that line should eliminate that entirely.
 #1076935  by Tadman

Some people are such idiots. From the article:
"Yet a slew of emails received by the Tribune on Monday raised new concerns, [including] cattle-car atmosphere that is not conducive to reading or even gazing out windows"
Yeah, this is a tourist train, bring a novel or look at the back of factories and garages... CTA is here to entertain you, that's why "CTA" stands for "chicago enTainment Authority".
"Women with low tops are going to feel uncomfortable with guys standing over them staring at their cleavage in warm weather"
Dress appropriately. Appropriate is a subjective term, but if you don't feel comfortable, it's probably not appropriate.
Toni Apicelli said one of the things she loved about moving back to Chicago from New York, where the MTA trains are equipped with inward-facing seats, was "not having to look at people's butts and crotches on the subway."
Then don't stare. Honestly I see a lot on the train and I just ignore it. You don't have to mentally undress the person just because they're in front of you, you can wear sunglasses, you can look up or down, or you can look at the pocket your wallet is in to ensure nobody is reaching in there to borrow it. Or you can just act like a darn adult and realize everybody has a butt and a crotch and not be a perv about it.

If you've gainfully employed and ever tried three times to board a packed rush hour train on the way to work, you really don't care about anything but getting to work. You're ecstatic that the new cars can hold 120 people rather than 60-70. You feel that your tax dollars are being put to work in a smart way.
 #1076971  by Fan Railer

Tadman wrote:Some people are such idiots. From the article:
"Yet a slew of emails received by the Tribune on Monday raised new concerns, [including] cattle-car atmosphere that is not conducive to reading or even gazing out windows"
Yeah, this is a tourist train, bring a novel or look at the back of factories and garages... CTA is here to entertain you, that's why "CTA" stands for "chicago enTainment Authority".
"Women with low tops are going to feel uncomfortable with guys standing over them staring at their cleavage in warm weather"
Dress appropriately. Appropriate is a subjective term, but if you don't feel comfortable, it's probably not appropriate.
Toni Apicelli said one of the things she loved about moving back to Chicago from New York, where the MTA trains are equipped with inward-facing seats, was "not having to look at people's butts and crotches on the subway."
Then don't stare. Honestly I see a lot on the train and I just ignore it. You don't have to mentally undress the person just because they're in front of you, you can wear sunglasses, you can look up or down, or you can look at the pocket your wallet is in to ensure nobody is reaching in there to borrow it. Or you can just act like a darn adult and realize everybody has a butt and a crotch and not be a perv about it.

If you've gainfully employed and ever tried three times to board a packed rush hour train on the way to work, you really don't care about anything but getting to work. You're ecstatic that the new cars can hold 120 people rather than 60-70. You feel that your tax dollars are being put to work in a smart way.
People are just so used to having their lives catered to them. What a dysfunctional society we live in =_=
 #1076996  by Metra210

Unfortunately, Ms. Apicelli's experience is one of the cons of riding public transit, especially if you're sitting down. I always ignore it, choosing to put all of my focus on the ride and what I have to do at the end of it.
 #1077050  by Tadman

I like the way you guys think...

People are always welcome to plunk down $50k+ and it'll even park itself!!!

www.mcgrathlexusofchicago.com

(If you wanna know the dirty truth, I don't have a Lexus but I do have a comfortable motorwagen, I just have the common sense to use public transit when possible - and not make inane complaints).
 #1077203  by E Runs

OK, this happened to me on Monday but on a bus and I was the male standee. The only spot to stand was "above" a woman with an extremely low cut shirt and all through the ride I took extra care to stare straight ahead or out the window lest she think I was a creeper. It really wasn't a big deal but I couldn't help but think that was a poor choice of apparel for public trans.

The rest of the article is nothing but petty complaints. People complain when the trains are packed, and now they're complaining when capacity is raised.
Last edited by E Runs on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1077246  by Tadman

Hehe if you think that's bad, try this - according to my buddy, outright nudity is fairly common in San Francisco. Imagine hopping on a crowded train headed downtown and trying to avoid that situation...
 #1077268  by F40CFan

These cars make me glad I ride Metra. Rode the subway in NYC on vacation. I don't like having someone's e-coli infested butt inches from my face. You don't have to look to know its there, and because it is not convenient to look out the window, there's nothing much to do with your eyes except stare at the ceiling or floor.