Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1023151  by Tadman

Alright Chicagoans, what's the farthest trip under the city you can make without going outside?

Probably Hong Kong to South Bend. Go inside at Hong Kong's Chek Lap airport, board a 777 to Chicago, get off, find CTA blue line, go downtown, traverse pedway to red line, ride up a stop to Lake, traverse pedway to Millenium Station, board South Shore train to South Bend. You have to exit the train there. The long and short of it is that Chicago's pedway is quite extensive and well connected. It was recently the feature of an article in New City called "A Subterranean Safari in the Chicago Pedway". You can find that article here:

http://newcity.com/2012/02/15/notes-fro ... go-pedway/

"The Pedway is downtown’s network of indoor pedestrian pathways, including below-ground tunnels, street-level concourses and overhead skyways, covering about five miles, and connecting more than forty city blocks. Tens of thousands of downtown workers use it every day to traverse the Loop without having to deal with cold, heat, rain, snow or the Loop’s hectic, often dangerous, street traffic. “If you know how to navigate it, it’s surprising how far you can travel underground,” says Tim Samuelson, the City of Chicago’s Cultural Historian."
 #1024252  by buddah

I always loved the pedway under Chicago, even though I can count the amount of times Ive taken it with my fingers. however there is one connection to the pedway I wish was possible, a fully underground connection to Union station, too bad the river is in the way. Also if possible one to OTC and Lasalle station. If you want to see a good underground pedway and not leave north America Go to Toronto! There PATH is quite amazing Ive taken it more times than I can remember from Toronto Union station all the way to the Eaton center (mall). Believe me the Toronto canucks know how to stay away from the winter elements just as much as Chicagoans do. Chicago's pedway is good, however Toronto's PATH is great, neither are excellent. Toronto's Mayor came to Chicago years ago and had a meeting with then Mayor Dailey to look for ways to beautify Toronto's Waterfront and then Daily visited Toronto to give insight to see what Toronto could do with there Waterfront similar to what Chicago had done to the lakefront , however Theres one thing Chicago could learn from Toronto, extend the pedway and add underground conveniences.
http://www.toronto.ca/path/
 #1026216  by lstone19

Tadman wrote:Alright Chicagoans, what's the farthest trip under the city you can make without going outside?

Probably Hong Kong to South Bend. Go inside at Hong Kong's Chek Lap airport, board a 777 to Chicago, get off, find CTA blue line, go downtown, traverse pedway to red line, ride up a stop to Lake, traverse pedway to Millenium Station, board South Shore train to South Bend. You have to exit the train there.
No need to ride the Red Line. Get off the Blue Line at Washington. The Pedway is now reopened through the Block 37 building and into an unpaid mezzanine area serving the former Washington and current Lake Red Line stations. Walk through and continue around Macy's (Marshall Field) to Randolph St. Station (sorry, I don't use modern station renames).