Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by c604.

First come first served. You'll find that the seating changes throughout the day as people get off and on for photo runs and rest stops. Speaking of which, what I personally like about this charter is that thanks to Mr. Harrison's ample planning for photo leap frog shots, static photo and rest stops, etc. this is not a trip where you have to get on, sit in one seat and stare out the window for 9 hours (though if you want to do that you can). But if you like to be a bit more active, your body can be in almost constant motion between riding the charter train, getting off at stations to jump ahead on a revenue train, getting off for quick static photo stops at stations, and rest stops. It adds another dimension to the trip, its a lot of fun.
  by Chicagopcclcars

Excellent description c604....you're on the publicity committee effective immediately, LOL. Be sure to introduce yourself on the trip. Thanks.

David
  by Chicagopcclcars

We are now in the final week before this year's IRM Snowflake Charter. Last year at this time we were announcing that the charter was jam packed, full to the top and entirely sold out. This year....we have a few nooks and crannies left so....if you have at the last minute a schedule clear-up, now is the time to move. There are a about two dozen tickets left as of Sunday, March 18. The ticket booth at the IRM website is open 24/7, but all month long they have been doing a steady business with the USPS too, so we'll eagerly anticipate Monday's mail delivery. All tickets sold now will be for pick-up only on Sunday morning before the trip's start at Harlem and Lake, CTA Green line. Remember that meter parking in Oak Park on Sunday is FREE.

David Harrison
  by steve4031

Looking forward to the trip tomorrow. Thanks to everyone involved for all of their hard work. Thank you to the cta for letting us ride a private train.
  by CHTT1

This was a great trip. Thanks to the Illinois Railway Museum for sponsoring, the CTA for its excellent cooperation and David Harrison for his expert commentary. I'm anxious to ride next year's trip already.
  by CTA Fan

It was a great time, as usual. Even the slight detour/delay/power loss at the 61st yard was interesting!

I'm slowly getting some videos, including the famous race, up at Youtube on my channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/The1958mgmga?feature=mhee

One observation on this year's race ... it sure does seem like the Red Line train throws the race at the end ...

I've got a bunch more to do, but having some technical difficulties with Windows Movie Maker trying to process HD video. So, trying some new software. I might redo a couple, so they might come and go.

CTA Fan
  by Chicagopcclcars

Thanks to everyone and glad the charter was a good experience for all. I just emailed the Authority and expressed thanks for all the work done on their side. I described 61st ST yard as putting the "A" in adventure and the "E" in excitment. 61st is normally fed from the substation direct, but was probably isolated as a safety measure. I was in the back car expecting the reverse move to the Lower Yard and though the car was simply on a "gap" but when I began walking forward through the train and the lights were out in each car, I began to realize that the yard power was isolated. The power desk and our supervisor arranged to feed the yard from the railroad and we were on our way. Then we decided it was best to head for lunch so the timeout-lunch break could stay at an hours' length. Then a streak of good luck hit including the towerman holding a Brown line train at Tower 12 for us to pass helping keep our lunch schedule. All of that is a part of the thrill of operating charters.

David H.
  by Chicagopcclcars

....About the race...No the Red line didn't throw the race.....our horse..ehrrr.... train had to use the whip. Pop! Pop! Pop!

Actually we ran into an unexpected 15 MPH speed restriction on our cab signal, and when it cleared, we had to go to the whip. Both trains crossed the finish line in a dead heat, but you're right, a protest was filed, so the race will have to be repeated!!

And that is straight from the horse's mouth!

David H.