Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1013644  by Tadman

The track signs at the South Shore concourse of Randolph street are being replaced today. There's a pile of the old ones sitting to the east of the platforms. Any idea how to go about securing one for my den, or IRM/HVRM? I'm emailing NICTD now. Thanks!

See this pic - the track/station listing sign.
 #1013842  by Pacific 2-3-1

Tadman wrote:The track signs at the South Shore concourse of Randolph street are being replaced today. There's a pile of the old ones sitting to the east of the platforms. Any idea how to go about securing one for my den, or IRM/HVRM? I'm emailing NICTD now. Thanks!

See this pic - the track/station listing sign.
And does that ramp lead down to PLATFORM 9 3/4?
 #1013856  by justalurker66

Pacific 2-3-1 wrote:And does that ramp lead down to PLATFORM 9 3/4?
Yes ... sort of. That ramp leads down to a currently unused platform between tracks 9 and 10.

The tracks are numbered, not the platforms. Note the location of the sign, centered on the track where it could indicate a train served from either side. The high level platforms are between tracks 8 and 9, tracks 10 and 11, and tracks 12 and 13. Track 14 is a storage track not accessible to passengers (no platform) and tracks 1 through 7 are Metra tracks in the lower level north of Randolph St.

The old low level platform has been maintained between tracks 9 and 10. This platform was used for the diesel set borrowed from Metra from 1989 through 1993. The tie down remains in service (powered up) at the end of track 9. If NICTD starts a West Lake service with low platform equipment it will be able to use Track 9 or 10 and the low level platform at Millennium Station.

But there are support pillars on that lower level platform, so if the wizards want to push their carts into the right one to get to platform 9 3/4 I suppose they can try. (NICTD's high level platforms at Millennium Station do not have pillars on them.)

#1014498  by justalurker66

I didn't see the old signs east of the platform today. Here are a couple shots of the new signs. They are blank (a blueish hue) when no train information is shown. I do not know how long before boarding the sign is activated.
Image Image
No indication of the platform number ... and odd to see the scrollbar in the train number window. And the base of the sign seems like it was designed for a different use. It hangs out over the back of the platform edge on every sign.
 #1014633  by justalurker66

JLJ061 wrote:Looks like they also replaced the platform railing along with the signs.
I don't believe so. The railings around track 9 and 10 where the ramp was added are different than the higher tracks where the new photograph was taken (track 11). I believe the railing on those tracks dates back to the 1990's, before Millennium Park.

The newer child safe railings (installed in 2000) is at the end of track 10, the ramp between tracks 10 and 9, and the tracks to the west. The older less safe railing is on the platforms between tracks 13 and 12, tracks 11 and 10, and at the end of tracks 11 and 12.