Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#79538  by metra 613

Anyone know what up with 2003 its been at nre for like 6 weeks now

#79708  by MikeF

If I remember correctly -- and perhaps PRRGuy can remember more correctly than I :-) -- it had a cracked cylinder head. It's probably at NRE for overhaul.

#80038  by MikeF

"NRE" is National Railway Equipment Company in Dixmoor, Ill.

#80211  by PRRGuy

Yes sir, its indeed a cracked cylinder head. 2008 had something similar about a month ago, but they were able to fix it in Michigan City. No idea when 2003 is coming back though.

#81701  by metra 613

well i dont see 2003 at nre anymore it might be back on the css

#94908  by PRRGuy

Well, the 2003 been back about a week or so..parked outside the NICTD shops tonight..looks good. Now the NICTD 1000 is out of service awaiting parts to arrive..parked outside the CSS shop on track 9.

#95259  by Scotty Burkhardt

how often is that unit used and for what? what kind of coupler does it have on it

#95304  by PRRGuy

I'm guessing you mean the NICTD 1000. It's a GP40m I believe..possibly an ex DT&I unit from what info I've been able to get. It has regular knuckle couplers on it. It's used for MOW work, pulling dead cars around the yard and in and out of the shop, also we send it over to the southshore freight when they need extra locos and they use it out on the road or whatever work they need done.

#95675  by Tadman

Doesn't GP40m mean de-turbo to GP38 specs?

And yes, I see the 1000 shunting around Burnham now and then with orange 2000's.

#95746  by Scotty Burkhardt

how is it moving around nictd cars it it has a knuckle coupler on it? correct me if im wrong but i thought the nictd cars had those goofy couplers on them

#95749  by byte

Sounds like it's mainly used for maintinence-of-way work, and if they need to use it to pull any electric railcars around, then they'll put an adapter on. If there was the non-standard railcar coupler on there all the time, then it would be a real hassle anytime they sent it over to the South Shore for freight service, because I don't think they can put a knuckle adapter on it so they'd need to change the coupler entirely.

#95751  by PRRGuy

When they have to move a nictd car with the 1000 or with another loco, there's a adapter knuckle they use. It fits inside the coupler of the nictd car and locks in place, the other side is a knuckle so the loco can couple up. If always wondered how they came up with the design for those couplers, as now We've been having some problems with cars separating from the rest of the train.