Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#991475  by Tadman

I have here a great video of the CTA showing the heritage cars in operation. At 1:20, they're rounding a corner and employees are using a stinger to transfer power to a dead third rail. Why is this rail dead and/or why is it necessary to do such operation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cya6om6 ... plpp_video
 #1002098  by Chicagopcclcars

justalurker66 wrote:I'd say that the normal way of getting power to that rail had failed and the guys were out there to keep the trains moving.
Sorry...incorrect. The historic cars were doing a special move on a weekend. Remember, in those days the Ravenswood (Brown) didn't go downtown on weekends. The historic cars planned to do a reverse move through the curved tracks at Tower 18 to position the cars to be correctly staged at the Quincy station for a celebration of the Loop "L" 100th Anniversary. A CTA electric crew was working beneath the structure and had taken the curved track's third rail out of service. I don't remember if the train crew knew this or not....remember the curved track wasn't used on the weekends. The workers manning the stinger are from the Historic Train crew, they were not stationed at Tower 18.

But glad all enjoyed the video.

David Harrison (msibnsf)
 #1002291  by justalurker66

Chicagopcclcars wrote:Sorry...incorrect.
That is a strange way to start a post that confirms my guess was correct. The normal way of getting power to the rail had failed (a man made failure) and the guys were out there to keep the trains moving. It turned out to be their train, and apparently the only one needing such assistance but the information was correct.
The historic cars were doing a special move on a weekend. Remember, in those days the Ravenswood (Brown) didn't go downtown on weekeThe historic cars planned to do a reverse move through the curved tracks at Tower 18 to position the cars to be correctly staged at the Quincy station for a celebration of the Loop "L" 100th Anniversary. A CTA electric crew was working beneath the structure and had taken the curved track's third rail out of service. I don't remember if the train crew knew this or not....remember the curved track wasn't used on the weekends. The workers manning the stinger are from the Historic Train crew, they were not stationed at Tower 18.
Thank you for the detail.