Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#989370  by Pacific 2-3-1

I think it's interesting that CHICAGO Magazine (chicagomag.com) started a blog with the above title.

I miss the PCC streetcars, though. I only got one ride on the #22 Clark-Wentworth line before it stopped in 1958.
Last edited by Pacific 2-3-1 on Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #989379  by Tadman

Can and do every day.

If a bilevel gallery seats 150 people or holds 200 standing, think about how many people the 11-car trains keep off the road. 2,200 people per train. If the average car is 17 feet long and there's half-space between each car, that's 3.5 solid miles of cars on a three-lane expressway. IE the distance from the Loop to Armitage (Metra Clybourn station) on the Kennedy.

We'd be up a creek if we didn't have Metra.
 #989432  by ExCon90

And the long-term effect would be for the Loop to empty out as office leases expired and tenants moved to yet more greenfield areas accessible only by highway. By the time they figured out that they only moved the congestion to the suburbs and exurbs the damage would be done.
 #989616  by doepack

ExCon90 wrote:And the long-term effect would be for the Loop to empty out as office leases expired and tenants moved to yet more greenfield areas accessible only by highway. By the time they figured out that they only moved the congestion to the suburbs and exurbs the damage would be done.
That trend started in earnest during the mid '80s, with the proliferation of office parks in Schaumburg and DuPage county, and is part of the reason why our gridlock is among the worst in the country. I'm on record at this forum lamenting the loss of some of our transit infrastructure (mainly because it'll be that much more expensive to restore it later if desired), but thankfully, a lot of the core still remains. The question is if Metra and CTA can continue to be in the "right place at the right time" when it comes to having the infrastructure and/or capacity available to handle future service demands to different areas in the region, without the need for expensive upgrades...
 #989730  by Tadman

DP, what's even scarier is the inner-area office developments. As old factories are converted to lofts, condos, and offices, people must commute in/out of those areas every day. If they're not near the L, people are driving. I'm talking about places like the Spice District on Cermak at the river and the like. Imagine if a Sears or Boeing decides to open a 2000-man call center in one of those areas 3-5 miles from downtown and 1-2 miles from the L. You'll have 2000 more cars slogging down overtaxed roads like Belmont or North Ave every day.
 #989860  by justalurker66

Did Chicago save CTA and Metra?

It seems to be a symbiotic relationship. CTA and Metra need passengers ... cramming so much city into so little real estate creates a need for a good way to circulate people. It isn't like one could take any city, add a regional transportation agency and expect it to grow into Chicago. The systems grew together.
 #990847  by doepack

steve4031 wrote:I think Metra should increase service. Period. Half hourly service on each Metra line would be a step in the right direction IMHO.
For routes like BNSF & UP/W that have heavy freight traffic, that would be a suicide kit for the on-time percentage, it would go straight to hell. Not only is the capacity not there to support that kind of service for those two lines, I also doubt that there's enough demand on the other routes to justify it as well.
 #991072  by steve4031

Considering the traffic on I 290, which is one of the country's most congested road, half hour service, I am sure would be supported. Or at least hourly service on Sundays. In the netherlands, they have high density intercity service.

I know there are issues with freight traffic. But in order for Chicago to address the current gridlock, the thinking has to change. Can't do won't do anymore. The thinking needs to change.
 #991192  by doepack

At the risk of further topic drift...

A change in philosophy is all well and good, but it has to be linked to an actual plan to make it happen, otherwise it's just an idea. The majority of Metra's future service improvement projects are rightfully centered on removing the capacity-limiting barriers that restrict Metra's real potential to provide more service; it is absolutely essential those issues be addressed first. Once the improvements are in place, and if the demand is there, more trains will come eventually; maybe not to the tune of every 30 min., but there will be more service. OTOH, simply adding trains to the current, capacity-limited infrastructure would be foolish; you'd have more delays, and overall service would suffer. More would indeed be less...
 #991213  by steve4031

Sorry for getting off topic. I do agree that there has to be planning and investment in infrastructure to increase service. I know it can't be done right now. I do believe hourly service could be implemented on Sundays.