Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#979819  by Chicagopcclcars

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/CHICAGOTRANSIT/

"Description

"The Chicago Transit mailing list. Devoted to the discussion of trains, buses, transit, urban traffic infrastructure issues, the CTA/RTA, and Metra. All Chicago and its suburbs. Hidden and lost rail rail systems are rediscovered. Experts label mysterious outcroppings of rail in odd city backlots. Alternatives to official rail expansion proposals are brought up by studied experts as to how best use existing rail systems. Members analyze existing rail cars, how other cities use their stock, and compare rival manufacturers. The members are very aware of the Chicago area rail systems, past and present.

"Frank Kennedy, list founder."

For me, I think there should be a lot more participation.

David Harrison
 #979825  by justalurker66

So many groups, so little time. I wish everyone with an interest would get together on ONE site so people did not have to monitor multiple groups to figure out what is going on. This site (railroad net) seems to be pretty good for what I care about.
 #979883  by doepack

I've been a member of that group for almost a decade, and while I'm more of a lurker than poster, it has a very strong repository of extremely knowledgeable folks who collectively, have an incredible amount of information on Chicago's transit history. It is also a sounding board for a couple of members who are actively pursuing implementation of their ideas and proposals for certain infrastructure improvements, although the overall progress remains stagnant. That said, I find the majority of the discussions there a bit too arcane for my tastes, while other discussions can sometimes devolve into silly, pointless hissing contests over one small, minute detail that bear little or no resemblance to the original topic, and eventually require moderator intervention to resolve. We don't get a lot of that here (thank goodness) and even though this board can be a bit quiet at times, that's not always a bad thing; we've got enough regular posters to keep it relevant...
 #980005  by Chicagopcclcars

Doepack, yours is a pretty accurate description and it conforms to what I have experienced in six months of posting there. Actually only about five posters post on CTA matters and unfortunately I have had a "head on" run-in with most of them over ONE ISSUE. The front page lists 600 members....I sure wish there were more actively participating.

David Harrison