Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#976094  by justalurker66

Don't panic ... NICTD spent the money to see what could be done. They are still many years away from actually choosing an option.
A new report shows a single South Shore "gateway station" for Gary would be cheaper and draw more riders than significant upgrades at each of city's two main stations.

The report prepared by engineering firm American Structurepoint puts the cost of a consolidated gateway station located at Interstate 65 and U.S. 20 at $37.7 million and concludes it could draw about 730 more riders per day.

The report, delivered at NICTD's regular meeting Friday at the Dune Park Station, projects the cost of bringing the Metro Center and Miller stops up to current NICTD standards at a combined $51.8 million. The two upgraded stations would draw a total of 577 more daily passengers.

Read more: http://www.nwitimes.com/business/transp ... ece7d.html
Rebuilding both stations (or at least Miller and letting some developer pay for the Gary Metro relocation/upgrade) is my preference. The numbers provided are off as they do not include a parking structure in Gary for the existing and expected new riders. I also question who the new riders will be ... hopefully the will be new riders and not just pulling existing South Shore riders from other stations. A train full of new riders would not be a bad thing.
 #977545  by Tadman

I'm all for a station at 65 and 20. It makes it much easier to drive up 65 and catch a train, rather than driving another 15-20 minutes into Gary to a decrepit station.
 #978620  by justalurker66

NICTD has posted the study on their news page:
At the September 30, 2011 NICTD Board meeting, American StructurePoint, presented their final report on an assessment of Miller and Gary Metro Center stations and the costs/benefits of upgrading these stations or building a consolidated station near I-65/Toll Rd/US 12/20. Their report is under review. Click here to link to a pdf of the report. Please note that it is a large file and may take several minutes to download.