Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#976010  by ryanbytes

It's not far from the BNSF Cicero Metra stop. I emailed BNSF and await a response but figured somebody here might know. Was it used for commuter power? Any idea on when it was abandoned?

Roundhouse
 #976026  by doepack

That roundhouse is actually very much alive, and belongs to Manufacturers' Junction railway, a shortline based in Cicero. Much of its ROW runs parallel to, and immediately west of, the Belt Railway in this area...
 #976192  by ryanbytes

Every time I've ridden past the roundhouse has an abandoned look to it. I've found the Cook County Assessor's PIN for it. On the books the address is 4700 W. Ogden in Cicero. There go my dreams of buying it and growing into an old rail hermit.

And here's a picture from inside the roundhouse.
 #976385  by doepack

Nice pic. But I wonder why the number on the headlight shows "6", even though it's official MJ road # is 23? One of the vestiges from its previous life, I guess...
 #980419  by ryanbytes

I received a reply from the current owners of the railway. The roundhouse is boarded up and not used anymore. They said there is very little activity on the road. There is no way a tour of the roundhouse could be arranged. Yeah I asked about a tour. It never hurts to ask!